560 for new system

crazyrobo

And since I live in good old CA, that would level off to about 560 to spend eventually.

I'm looking to replace my sony str-d1011 (reciever), yamaha sna-635 (bookshelf front and right), and probably invest in a sub (depending if I want to spend more on the fronts) Later on I'm probably going to add a center and two surrounds whenever the oppertunity presents itself, but for now a good 2.1 system is fine, since I watch movies downstairs.

(Note: There is a Mitsu Diamond 65" WS-65713 downstairs, but there is a bose lifestyle 35 system connected to it and its almost to the point where I have to leave the room.)

Currently, I'm stumped on what to divide the money into, the speaker brand really doesn't matter, nor does the type (bookeshelf floorstanding, floorstanding prefered, but I see how the budget hits that a little hard).

Mind, this is a student budget, so really waiting for another 600 dollars of free expendible money will probably take more than a couple of months.

A few questions, first to clarify the dilemma.

You mentioned $560, is that the price of a specific system you had in mind. Or is it the amount of finances you have available. And to the second question, the new rig is intended for personal use such as a bedroom or office (upstairs) rather than downstairs with the Bose. Lastly, what source do you plan on using for this rig, computer, DVD player, PS2, or combinatorial sourcing.

For low budgets such as yours, some members believe that used is a great way to attain quality gear. It won't be the most up to date, but I don't think you need to be. So here are some things to look at.

(not in any specific order)

1) Refurb Klipsch Ultra 5.1 ($250) plus additional DD decoder (100)

You should think about the reliability of the Ultra's which is an issue. But if you get them from Klipsch, you get a warrranty.

2) Refurb HK 130 ($200) or Onkyo 501 ($150), Dayton sub ($130), Klipsch rs-3ii (or equivalent newer R's) as mains ($200-300). It may be odd to use surrounds as mains but, they disperse sound very well in a small room. In addition you can mount them on the wall (off the floor) if you're limited in floor space. When you save another $560 or more then you could buy the center and main, "demoting" the RS3's to surround duty.

3) HTIB

Oh by the way,

"Do not worry with your problems with mathematics, ..............

I can assure you that mine are still greater" A.E.

1. Finances available. (Selling my old laptop)

2. Personal use, upstairs, for when I'm not using my computer (Klipsch 5.1s)

3. Basically what I get from the dish, some DVD, my one PS2, basically a combination, but with that said, I don't really need a 5.1 setup at this time, I could even wait a couple of years. The room is a good 17x17.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a good stereo. Possibly $200 for the fronts, $200 for the sub, $150 for the reciever.

i could spend 560 on 1 speaker, thats not a very high budget so i would stick with promedia unless you only want a 2.1 system then you might be able to swing something liek rb-25's with a cheap reciever but you still wont be able to add a sub. I honestly can't think of any reciever below 200 dollars thats worth a damn. You might be able to build an RSX system by starting with the rsx-4's you can get a pair for only 200 bucks and you could turn the system into something nice once the RVX52's come out in a month or so. You will definitly need a sub with thoes speakers. Look into the HSU STF-2

----------------

On 8/3/2004 4:25:39 AM crazyrobo wrote:

1. Finances available. (Selling my old laptop)

2. Personal use, upstairs, for when I'm not using my computer (Klipsch 5.1s)

3. Basically what I get from the dish, some DVD, my one PS2, basically a combination, but with that said, I don't really need a 5.1 setup at this time, I could even wait a couple of years. The room is a good 17x17.

Bottom line, I'm looking for a good stereo. Possibly $200 for the fronts, $200 for the sub, $150 for the reciever.

----------------

My previous system (now upgraded) was built at about your budget level.

Klipsch KG4's: $250 for the pair from ebay. Something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5713187214&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5712874175&rd=1

KG4.2's are another possibility:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5713039693&rd=1

(unfortunately, this guy won't ship)

Marantz 2220b receiver: about $120 from ebay (would suggest going to a a little more wattage if you can afford it, though not absolutely necessary for 17x17).

Here's a possibility:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50596&item=5712892242&rd=1

No subwoofer. If you go this route, you might find the KG4's in combination with Marantz SS put out enough bass without one.

This is all vintage equipment, so you'll want to shop WITH CARE.

At the risk of attracting flames, I doubt that there are many AFFORDABLE used SS receivers that can match 1970's era Marantz for build quality, reliability and sound. IMHO a magical (budget) match with vintage Klipsch.