got me a new toy(well not really a toy...)

Scp53

I decided to move form synergy to reference. I have sb3's and now have rb25's too. Dam, these things sound soooooo much better in many ways. the only thing my sb3's have over the 25's is better bass(probably not as clean though) and more output. I don't listen to music/movies really loud and am not a bass freak. and I also have a titanic sub to fill in if necessary. but so far Im blown away by:

my 3's I thought were clean, but when the guy at the store played the sb2's next to the 25's, the synergy's sounded "muffled". and the highs weren't as percise. heck everthing was more percise with these 25's. Im very happy.

the output for such small speakers. they sound bigger than my synergy's I think. and the sound stage is better.

just a few quick q's:

will having speakers, not just the reference, in light/sunlight day after day harm the surround on the woofer? is this something to worry about. I plan on using these for 5-6yrs. and does a wall to the back of these speakers affect them? will there be any gain from placing them on or close to the wall? like the sb3's are rear ported to the wall to the rear of them affects there sound. with the new 25's it seems that a wall would affect the speakers little.

as for my setup right now:

-RCA receiver- its a basic analog stereo receiver that sounds ok and is very reliable. has thermal/circuit protection and it won't clip. at least I haven't done it yet.

-Toshiba DVD- i think its sd4900. its a basic 130 $ player. works fine but nothing special.

-SB3's- pretty good speaker for the money- got them for 365

-RB25's-new ones- got for 359

-titanic mk3 10" 250wt rms amp- good sub for med duty theater/music in small to med sized rooms that don't have a cement floor. but on music sometimes the dumb cds make the amp clip because they were mixed bad.

-monster interconnect for everything

-sentry power supply- hey it was cheap! i generally don't buy into "line conditoning" and similar things. I use this only to protect my electronics and keep the power more equal- someone told me a basic power strip/protector is better than just the wall outlet. a basic one can help keep electricity more level or something. I dunno??

so theres my very basic setup. nothing compared to what some members have. Im someone who likes good sound and doesn't want big expensive speakers/amps/preamps,etc. theres a point that you have to say this is good enough. to go past what I got I think is unecessary for me. except maybe a new reciever. like a cheap denon. but thats just another thing added to "my wish list" - its gonna be on the "list" for a while.

and another question: what is a fair price on the synergy's? I have two neighbors that might be interested. I payed 365... I figure $5-10 a month for my use of them so ive had them almost 9months. so does 280-300ish sound fair?? as for condition, there fine. a couple cosmetic things and a broken grill tip. the drivers are in good condition. Im not at all trying to make a profit here. just sell them for what there worth. and if I sell them Im NOT going to buy something else like more speakers or a receiver.

just thought Id post this... comments, suggestions,questions,etc...

scp53

Since you don't seem particularly interested in multichannel audio, you can seriously improve your listening experiences with a dedicated stereo amp. Going from a Pioneer receiver to an offboard stereo B&K amp (got it for $300 used) was like having cotton pried out of my ears. At first I didn't think the change was that great, but when my friends came over and we decided to quickly switch back to the receiver I was blown away. Only then did I realize how much difference this relatively inexpensive addition had made. The soundstage with the receiver was narrow and dead hollow, the highs were screechy and sharp in comparison. So when you sell the ole' synergy you might consider investing in a decent amp (prob. used, since new ones of this quality are out there in terms of price). It would get you a lot more enjoyment out of the speakers than a 'cheap receiver'.

Since these speakers have front ports they are probably not as sensitive to being placed next to the wall, but you still might want to give them a few inches of breathing space.

P.S. I've used the RB-25s and they are amazing little speakers. Congrats on your purchase.

no one has anything else to say... well I have a another question to add with the OTHER ones that have not been answered yet. will these speakers sound good on a pioneer SX-550? its a older tube stereo receiver. but I think the tube has a leak or something... it has a bit of a pop when turned on, more so if you turn the nob faster. id use it right now with the rb25's except when you turn it on the pop pushes the woofers out. not a good thing. actually I haven't done it with my new ones yet and am not going to. but I have with my sb3's- I thought after a few times of powering them up was enough to tell i could someday damage the woofer(s). but would a tube amp sound good with them? better than a basic SS receiver??

thanks,

scp53

First, take a chill pill, I know that at 17 everything needs to be done NOW!! but sometimes things take a little longer. Yes the tube will sound better than SS. As to what the problem is with the amp.....? You could have it sent to a repair shop to find the answer. It could be caps, or ? It is kinda hard to trouble shoot over the net, at least for me.