Help with RS7s out of phase?

Skidmarks

Just wondering if any of you could help me out with a little issue I have going on right now.

First of all I am running a 5.1 Ref. RF7 series HT from a Yamaha RX-V1400 7.1 receiver. I have had no problems with any of my speakers until today when my RS7s arrived in the mail. I went to hook them up, and Yamaha urges you to run a new auto setup with the YPAO mic. While running I noticed a discrete difference from left to right rear, the right side was much more low and boomy, almost distorted ,while the program ran its sequence. Then at the end I received a out of phase warning for that right side.

So after checking and rechecking the wires I decided to give it the benifit of doubt and switched black and red wires =same results "out of phase"

So I tried switching speakers , thinking maybe I got a malfunctioning RS7, same result from the same side. I have run out of ideas, anyones idea will be welcome while I wait for a return e-mail from Yamaha.

Thanks SKID

I am using the same wire I had used with the speakers I replaced, there was no problems before.

I have the speaker in the same position as the previous one.

I do however notice sound coming from my sub, and right surround simultaniously, during its test tones? I dont think thats supposed to happen.

Skid,

I suspect that you had THX post processing engaged during setup. (Yamaha is new to THX certification.) THX post processing uses, amongst many things, "Adaptive Decorrelation" on the surround speakers. Adaptive decorrelation slightly changes the phase and timing in one of the surround channels so that the surrounds do not become like headphones.

Recommended fix attempt: Turn off THX post processing before you run YPAO. Let us know if it works.

Mrmcgoo, that's interesting. I've heard of several other people receiving that same message after using the YPAO. I wonder if that's what's causing it. Most people have ignored it and left the speakers alone after verifying they were connected properly.

John

When I upgraded my Yamaha 5760 to a 5790 (virtually same as the 1400), I forgot to connect the sub and ran YPAO. It told me that my fronts were out of phase(!?!). Not so as I am very careful about speaker phase. Looked around and realized the that the Yamaha was expecting a sub. Connected sub and re-ran YPAO. Bingo, everything OK.

Check your connections against what the receiver is set to and re-run YPAO.

Well I had had Sub. problems before , I use the HSU stf2 (I should have went bigger) but I could not get sound to play from this unit , I thought I had tried everything, I even took the receiver back and said the Sub, pre-out is bad. Then I noticed a tiny switch semi hidden under the ac cord, that said "in" or "out" Once I switched this , all was good.

Now having said this, when I run my YPAO setup, and it comes to the RR surround, I am getting sound from the sub, and the surround?

I do not know enough about such things so I will hope for your suggestions.

As far as the small/large issue, all 3 front channels are set to large , and the back 2 are set to small. That is just the way it sets them for whatever reason, I have the LFE set to both.For now i am directly in the path of this damn Hurricane , I may be evacuating some time today, so I may be offline for some time. Hopefully the house will be left standing

I would hate to lose the Home theater lol.

Phase on the sub should not be an issue with auto setup. The Pioneer auto setup (MCACC) sets all speaker distances correctly. It sets the subwoofer distance off a bit to get the phase spot on. Whether or not the Yamaha YPAO does the same thing I do not know, but it should.

Bill