Harman Kardon 430 & 630 receivers..need specs

cjones

I tried the link that I had for this info, but it no longer works, so here is what I have:

-----------------------------------------------------

HK630Stereo Receiver (30 watts x 2)

WARRANTY: 2 Years

FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1973

LAST MANUFACTURED: 1975

SPECIFICATIONS: Tuner Section

Sensitivity : FM - 1.9 microvolts, Ihf

Signal-to-Noise Ratio : 70dB

Capture Ratio : 2.5dB

Image Rejection : 50dB

Spurious Response Rejection : 78dB

Multiplex Separation : 35dB

Total Harmonic Distortion : MONO - 0.6%STEREO - 0.7%

Amplifier Section

Power Output : 30/30 W RMS @ 8 ohms from 20-20kHz at <0.5% THDPEAK - In excess of 60 watts / ch , both channels driven

Power Bandwidth : from less than 10Hz to beyond 40kHz

Total Harmonic Distortion : <0.5% at 30/30 watts0.07% at 1 watt, both channels driven simult

Intermodulation Distortion : < 0.15% at rated output

Hum and Noise : Better than 85dB below rated output

Damping Factor : 40:1

Frequency Response : from below 4Hz beyond 70kHz +/-0.5dB at normal power levelsfrom below 1 hertz to beyond 100kHz +/-1dB at normal power levels

Square Wave Tilt : < 5% at 20 hertz

Rise Time : SQUARE WAVE - < 2 microseconds

Stability : absolutely stable with all types of speakers

NOTE: Depth measurement includes knobs, buttons and terminal connections; height measurement includes feet and chassis. All features and specifications are subject to change without notice.

© Harman International Industries, Incorporated

HK730Stereo Receiver (40 watts x 2)

FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1976

LAST MANUFACTURED: 1977

SPECIFICATIONS: General

Power Output : 40 W min. RMS/ch @ 8 ohms with <0.1% THD

Power Bandwidth : from 10Hz to 40kHz at <0.1/THD into 8 ohms

Frequency Response : 4Hz - 130kHz +/-0.5dB

Rise Time : 1.5usecSQUARE WAVE - POWER AMP - <1.5usec

Square Wave Tilt : < 5%

Total Harmonic Distortion : < 0.1% from 250milliwatts to 40watts RMSFM MONO - 0.3% (1kHz)FM STEREO - 0.4% (1kHz)

Intermodulation Distortion : 40 watts SMPTE < 0.12% and 1 watt SMPTE < 0.15%

Hum and Noise : better than 60dB below rated output (unweighted)-40dB

Damping Factor : > 30 (1kHz @ 1watt)

Input Sensitivity : POWER AMP - < 1.2V

Input Impedance : POWER AMP - 33kilohms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio : POWER AMP - > 90dB @ 40 watts

Output Level/Impedance : PREAMP - 600 ohms

Phono Overload : >95mV

RIAA Equalization : +/-1.0dB

Loudness Control : +10dB @ 50Hz

Filter : HIGHCUT - -10dB @ 10kHzLOWCUT - -6dB @ 50Hz

Sensitivity : FM IHF - 1.9uVFM MONO - 3.5 @ -50dBFM STEREO - 35uV @ -50dBAM - > 250uV/m

Capture Ratio : 2dB

Image Rejection : -80dB-75dB

Spurious Response Rejection : -80dB

IF Rejection : -90dB-60dB

AM Rejection : 60dB

Alternate Channel Selectivity : 80dB55dB

Multiplex Separation : 40dB (1kHz)

Output Level : 0.5VAM Signal for 1 watt < 150uV/M

Selectivity : AM - 35dB

NOTE: Depth measurement includes knobs, buttons and terminal connections; height measurement includes feet and chassis. All features and specifications are subject to change without notice.

HK430Stereo Receiver (25 watts x 2)

FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1976

LAST MANUFACTURED: 1977

SPECIFICATIONS: Tuner Section

Capture Ratio : 2.5dB

Image Rejection : 60dB

Spurious Response Rejection : 50dB

Alternate Channel Selectivity : 60dB

Total Harmonic Distortion : MONO - 0.6%STEREO - 0.7%

Amplifier Section

Power Output : 25 watts RMS/ch, both driven into 8 ohms 20Hz - 20kHz,w/< 0.3% THD

Power Bandwidth : 10Hz - 40kHZ at < 0.3%THD into 8 ohms both channels driven simult. @ 12.5 watts /ch

Frequency Response : 20Hz - 20kHz +/-0.5dB4Hz - 140kHz, -3dB

Rise Time : SQUARE WAVE - <3microseconds

Square Wave Tilt : < 5% at 20Hz

Total Harmonic Distortion : < 0.3% from 250milliwatts - 25 watts RMS, both driven simultaneously into 8 ohms (20Hz-20kHz)

Intermodulation Distortion : < 0.15% at rated power output

Hum and Noise : Better than 65dB below rated output

Damping Factor : 40

HK930Stereo Receiver (45 watts x 2)

FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1973

LAST MANUFACTURED: 1975

Detailed information is currently unavailable

HK505Stereo Integrated Amplifier (60 watts x 2)

FIRST MANUFACTURED: 1978

LAST MANUFACTURED: 1980

SPECIFICATIONS: Amplifier Section

Power Output : 60 watts RMS per channel @ <0.03% THD primarily low order harmonics @ 8 ohms from 20 - 20kHzDIN 45500 - 75 watts @ 8 ohms

Power Bandwidth : HALF POWER - 8Hz - 100kHz into 8 ohms

Frequency Response : below 1Hz-140kHz, -3dB at rated output

Total Harmonic Distortion : 0.025% primarily low order harmonics 1kHz at rated output

Intermodulation Distortion : 0.06% at rated output

Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TIM) : 0.01%

Slew Rate : 65 volts/uSec

Rise Time : SQUARE WAVE - better than 2.5usec at 20kHz

Square Wave Tilt : < 3% at 20Hz

Negative Feedback : 28dB

Damping Factor : > 50 at 8 ohms

Hum and Noise : PHONO - -88dB"A" WTDAUX & RES - -100dB "A" WTD

Input Sensitivity : PHONO - 2.2mVAUX - 130mV

Input Impedance : PHONO - 47k ohms

Phono Overload : >225mV

RIAA Equalization : +/-0.75dB

The H/K 630 hit the market the same time as the H/K 930, around 1974 model year(fall of 1973). In 1976 (fall of 1975), the 430 and the 730 hit the market in H/K's twin-powered receiver line, whereupon the 630 was dropped from the line in favor of the new 730, while the 930 remained as the flagship model until the end of production of the "X"30 line in late 1977.

Factory specs given on these models at the time of their manufacture by H/K were very conservative and really don't tell the whole story on the performance one actually hears with these units. It is as though H/K took the very worst example manufactured from each model and gave out its specs instead of being more realistic in relaying those specs to the buying public, for some odd reason. Therefore, when reading the specs, take them with a grain of salt, because actual performance of these units will seem far better than specs given.

Specs for the 430 can be found in its owner manual at:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%27s%20Manual/430om.pdf

Specs for the 630 can be found in its owner manual at:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Owner%27s%20Manual/HK630om.pdf

As for differences in inputs/outputs on the rear of the two receivers, the 430 has the following:

1 ea phono input (MM)

1 ea tape in(monitor)/2 ea tape out

1 ea aux in

no preamp out/amp in

The 630 has the following(same with the 730 and 930):

2 ea phono input (MM)

2 ea tape in(monitors)/2 ea tape out

2 ea aux in

1 ea preamp out/preamp in

Thanks for all the great info on the HK receivers. I'm thinking of picking one up to power my basement system paired with some Hersey 2's. The first reciever I ever purchased back in 74 was a HK 330B. Great little receiver. So I imagine the 430 or 630 with the dual mono design will be even smoother. Thanks again for the info!!

Glad to see HDBR pointed out the online h/k manual links. Audiophiles have a lot of bad things to say about Harman International, but Sidney Harman's still there (last I knew) and they have enough respect for their own past to have about the most comprehensive array of "legacy" owners manuals available (free!) on-line of any brand. A terrific resource... I hope they know that we appreciate it.

I found some info there for my ANCIENT h/k A300 AM/FM tube tuner.

Yamaha is another company that has a reasonable on-line collection of 'legacy' manuals and some other docs. http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/down/index.html

I was able to get the manuals directly off the Harman Kardon website about a month or so ago, but for some reason I can't get them directly anymore. I'm not sure if one has to send a request for them now or not, but there seems to be a link to request information on the site when you call up the older model information.

Anyway, I have a HK630 and mine only has 1 input each for phono, aux, tape in/out. Perhaps there are newer 630 models with additional inputs, but I alway thought of the 730 as a good upgrade, not just because of the increase in power, but for the additional inputs.

-PB

PB-

Yep, I've been trying the Harman website, but I can't get them directly either. Too bad, as I'd love to get the 730 manual. I must say it sounds quite nice on my Chorus IIs. It's in very good shape, but I think I'll do a pot/chassis clean like Andy recommends before I get too much listening time.

jhawk,

Have you tried it on your Khorns at all? Probably not a fair comparison with your Scott, but I'd like to know what you think. I have have been listening to my 630 on my Khorns for about a month now and it sounds pretty clean. It does get a tad harsh (I hate this word) on some recordings at higher volumes, but it is the best amp I have heard on them. I can't wait to try tubes, but that is just going to have to wait.

-PB

I may have been wrong about the inputs/outputs on the 630, just check the owner manual and it will show them all.

As for the 730...unless it has shown up recently on the HK website, the OWNER manual is still unavailable there, BUT the SERVICE manual IS available there...and here is its URL:

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Service%20Manual/hk730%20sm.pdf

There are folks on this forum and others (just do a search on the vintage section at Audio Asylum for these H/K's)who have been quite happy with the performance of any of the H/K "X"30 twin-powered receivers on just about every Klipsch speaker ever made, to include all of the models in the Heritage line...and many other manufacturers' speakers, both old and new.

Most first-time "X"30 listeners are pretty surprised at what they hear, though...PLEASANTLY surprised in most cases! Not really any surprise to me, though. They are all good, unless you end up being one of the unlucky very few who have picked up a problem-child "X"30 needing major repair. So far, from what I have seen, those "problem children" are few and far between, though. That is how it is when a company makes something both good-sounding AND relatively bullet-proof, though...even if it WAS made almost a third of a century ago!

When I brought up the subject of these units on this forum about two years ago, I never intended for these H/K's to end up with some kinda cult following here; I just saw them as a great bang-for-the-buck alternative to blowing big bucks in order to have a decent sounding system using Klipsch speakers. Honestly, I am quite surprised at how many of this forum's members have picked up one or more of these units so far...even moreso at how many members are USING them instead of just giving them a try-out to "see what all the fuss is about". I am happy to see that many folks feel the same as I do about them, though...and that they ARE getting USED with Klipsch speakers...ESPECIALLY the HERITAGE line models!2.gif