How many of you own "Milestones"?

jazman

One of the greatest musicians and Jazz artist of all time can not be found on Blue Note. It's Miles Davis. By now most of you have heard or read the recommendations for Miles' Columbia LP "Kind of Blue". "Kind of Blue" is generally considered on the most popular Jazz LP's ever recorded. This post however, is about the Columbia LP "Milestones".

The question, "Which musicians comprised the best group to ever play with Miles?", could form the basis of a PhD thesis in itself, and too long a discussion to be entered here. Was is the sextet that included Sonny Rollins and Jackie Maclean?, or the group with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock?. Miles Davis recorded "Milestones" with the sextet format and the core group of musicians, which to me comprised probably my favorite group to play with Miles. This sextet included Miles on trumpet, John Coltrane on tenor sax, Cannonball Adderly on alto sax, Philly Joe Jones on drums, Red Garland on piano, Paul Chambers on bass.

"Milestones" was one of Miles' very early Columbia Records label releases, and an LP even I, much too often, let slip out of play rotation. I love this LP. Cannonball and Coltrane lay into some blistering solo work on so many of the songs. Listening to "Milestones" created the urge to dig out some of Miles' earlier work on the Prestige label, as well as some of John Coltrane's earlier recordings on Prestige. As a result, I've listened to a different Coltrane or Miles LP each night for the last week.

"Milestones" is one DYNAMIC LP! If you haven't heard it, maybe you should.

Klipsch out.

Thanks for sharing this with us Jazz. I'm ashamed to admit that although I admire his work I don't have a single piece in my collection.

Question, would "Kind of Blue" or "Milesstone" be available with a quality remastering on CD?

While I am at thanks to you and others for helping me out with tracking down a certain type of jazz music. Picked up Pete Kelly's Blues and it's exactly the type of music I was after. I'm in the process of picking up a couple more in this genre. Thanks again, everybody. A very god example of what makes this place special.

----------------

On 8/13/2004 5:14:44 PM jazman wrote:

The question, "Which musicians comprised the best group to ever play with Miles?", could form the basis of a PhD thesis in itself, and too long a discussion to be entered here. Was is the sextet that included Sonny Rollins and Jackie Maclean?, or the group with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock?.

----------------

I was just listening to a CD box of The Miles Quintet 1965-`68. Really great jazz that seems to get over looked since most people want to hear the earlier stuff. I think I`ll spend some more time with this box since it kept me up 2 hours past what I intended. Good informative reading in that CD box also.

I was just listening to a CD box of The Miles Quintet 1965-`68. Really great jazz that seems to get over looked since most people want to hear the earlier stuff. I think I`ll spend some more time with this box since it kept me up 2 hours past what I intended. Good informative reading in that CD box also.

----------------

I have the same box, great stuff indeed. It made me search and buy some of the original vinyls to get more feel of the albums when they came out. In the box sometimes different takes and albums are mixed and some songs are left out. It really is something between a 'best of' and 'alternate takes'.

BTW; The sound of this box is outstanding, so the cd's from this same remaster session (1998) must sound equally great.

Tim.

----------------

On 8/14/2004 3:42:33 AM middlecreekguy wrote:

----------------

On 8/13/2004 5:14:44 PM jazman wrote:

The question, "Which musicians comprised the best group to ever play with Miles?", could form the basis of a PhD thesis in itself, and too long a discussion to be entered here. Was is the sextet that included Sonny Rollins and Jackie Maclean?, or the group with Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock?.

----------------

----------------

The Miles Quintet from the period you're referring to included Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams in his group. Many think of that gathering of musicians as a breakthrough group with respect to the approach and improvization freedom Miles encouraged. The influence of that period is very evident in todays Jazz. The additional good news is, there is a good supply of Miles LPs on vinyl from that period.

Miles has always surrounded himself with great musicians. I definitely enjoy the products of that union of musicians (1965-68), just not as much as the chemistry created when Miles, Coltrane, and Cannonball performed together. Make no mistake though, I own and play the LPs of that '65-68 period quite often also. It all depends on what the soul demands on any given day, as to which Miles LP hits the turntable. He was one who was always looking ahead, and did not always hit the mark with many Jazz fans for a period of years with the heavy electronic sound. I've usually taken the time to audition almost everything he has ever recorded, even if I ended up not liking it.

Enjoy the wide array of music legacy and influences Miles left for us.

Klipsch out.