What Went In, What Came Out II

Frzninvt

This is my second report regarding DeanG's Jensen PIO crossover upgrade, the first time it was my center La Scala that got the treatment. I was so impressed with the improved performance I knew that the 42 year old networks in my '62 Cornwalls would surely benefit. I got a pair of the Type B's from an individual on AudioGon that had just purchased them from DeanG but then decided to sell his Cornwalls and the crossovers as well.

The crossovers are beautifully done, clean and very neatly laid out. The swap was very easy to do. Once the crossovers were installed and the speakers buttoned up, I powered up the system wondering what to expect. In a word WOW! it brought them to life, with the La Scala is was evident there was a difference but I had to do some detailed listening, but with the Cornwalls it was a big difference. Immediately easy to tell the highs were more detailed and accurate, the midrange was smooth and the vocals very articulate, the bass was smooth and authoritative. My only worry is the Type B that DeanG built I believe has different crossover points than the original K1000-5000 Type C-22 crossover that was in there. But I am sure the drivers can handle the additional ranges that they are now being asked to reproduce.

With A DVD it was easy to tell that the level of detail in the rear significantly improved, the overall detail of the system has now reached another level. Man O' man. Everything was there before now there is more of it and it is more discernable than before. I have not even tried a CD yet, but I am sure the results will be the same.

I can't wait to get my '77 Khorns in the rear so I can get a set of DeanG's "AA's" for them. I remeasured the height and it appears the Cornwall will clear the ceiling inverted on a Khorn so I am now only going to part with a single pair of Cornwalls.

Anyone out there that is on the fence as to whether it is really worth the expense to buy a set of crossovers for a pair of speakers that you paid $1K or less for is really worth it, let me tell you that it is!

Well onto to more listening! 9.gif

Ha! Almost missed this one. Thanks Charles.

So what are we comparing here squawker-wise between these Cornwalls -- a 700 Hz horn versus a 1000 Hz horn? I know the driver can handle it, but I don't know enough about horns to know what the impact on the frequency response is.

You really should send me those antiques so I can measure those parts. It might work out better rebuilding a nice set of those with the proper values. Then again, it might cost less money to swap out the horn. Yeesh, where's Tom Brennen when you need him.

Dean, the Midrange horn is not a narrow one like the old H-1000 (Heresy's) or the Shorthorn's, it sure looks like the standard K-600 horn I did not check it since size wise it looks like the standard K-600 horn that comes in a Cornwall. I got the 1000/5000 from the crossover network itself as that is what is printed on the side of it. I assumed it crosses the midrange in at 1K and the tweeter in at 5K.

The midrange driver is a K-55V, the older one with more of a metallic gray paint on it. The K-77 is the old mother with the chrome/polished throat and the grey painted magnet. The woofer is the Jensen 15PLL model. Your Jensen PIO Type B's really made a difference in the old girl's performance.

I was going to ask you if you wanted to take a look-see at those old networks since Trey Cannon could not even identify them. Email me your shipping address and when you want me to send them to you for evaluation.

Hi guys, I'm thinking of doing several mods to my Cornwalls this winter, so I'm shopping for possible x-over changes. From what I've read, the choices, in order of system improvement, difficulty factor, and cost, would be:

Repair existing x-overs with newer, stabler components where necessary

Revamp existing x-overs with higher grade capacitors and wiring (Solen and Haviland come to mind)

Purchase an entirely new set of x-overs and swap them out. How many different models are made for the Cornwalls?

Replace the squawker horn and/or driver to accomodate the specs on new x-over.

Can anyone give me approx costs and a 'grade' for what I'll call improvement factor? Mine are 1974 I believe, with horizontal horns. I have replaced tweeter units entirely and both woofers have been reconed.

Thanks,

Michael