My current home theater setup

chepo61

Good afternoon to all:

I haven't posted in the forum for quite awhile but I have been reading the many interesting posts in the different threads. I just wanted to ask your opinion as to what you guys you think of my current home theater setup, lastest addition to it is the Pioneer ELite VSX-54TX which has just replaced an H/K 520 which served very well. Next upgrade is the subwoofer, I want to change the Yammy for a SVS or RSW-12, not sure yet which way to go on this one.

I will appreciate any comments.

I don't know how to upload multiple photos so I will go one by one, here's the first one.

Thanks guys.

post-10087-13819257466698_thumb.jpg

I have been thinking of upgrading tp a Pioneer Elite receiver like yours to run a home theater featuring Klipschorns as the front mains. Center will be a Belle Klipsch, rears probably Klipsch RS-35's.

What do you particularly like, and dislike, about your Pioneer? Does it have solid, strong bass without the subwoofer? (The Klipschorns are very amplifier-sensitive and their bass can range from anemic to staggeringly good depending on the amp.) Also, I read somewhere that several of the Elite Pioneers have user-controllable five channel equalization on all channels including the center. Does yours? If so, does that feature provide tone flexibility to your satisfaction?

Thank you in advance for your impressions.

I just received my Pioneer ELite this past friday and I'm only now beginning to get more into the details of it. I can say this, regarding the initial setup the MCACC is truly something extraordinary, the way is goes about calibrating your speakers really impressed me. This is my first ELite but I did alot checking on the different forums and I do agree with the general opinion on how the MCACC functions.

There is an "expert" mode in which you can, amongst other adjustments, manually adjust the 5 band graphic equalizer for each channel (I just went into the setup mode and verified this). As far as the bass goes I like the bass I am getting from the yammy subwoofer, I must admitt that it isn't anything out of this world but I can only imagine how much better my bass can be by getting a much better subwoofer. I feel that you most defintely would have to audition one for yourself. I can't say that I dislike anything on the Elite since I'm still on a learning with it but I am very happy with what I have seen/heard up to now.

I will keep on "playing with it" during the coming days and will post my impressions here.

I how hope I shed some light.

Regarding the bass on the Elite, I mentioned the bass with my subwoofer....I forgot to mention that without the sub I do like the bass that the elite is delivering....keep in mind that the RF3II's aren't that bass heavy in the first place...nothing compared to say the RF7's from what I have read but the elite holds it's own.

For a subwoofer, I recomend the Klipsch RSW-12 or 15 for music and movies. For movies as a primary use, then the SVS is very good down low.

RF-7s and an RC-7 would also be an excellent upgrade, when you can spare the cash.

Take the time to understand the 54TX. The Pioneer Elites are a bit more complex than other receivers. My manual on the 49TXi is well over 100 pages. It pays to be familiar with the best ways to operate such a sophisticated piece of equipment.

Bill

Bill,

I appreciate your suggestions on the subwoofer issue, I am more inclined to go the RSW-12 or 15 route since my preferences go about 50% music and 50% movies....The RF7's are little father down the road for me but I have them in my sight. As far as taking the time to get to know the 54TX I couldn't agree with you more on this, as far as receivers I have owned in the past (yamaha & H/K) this one is a more complex unit. I ran the MCACC and the results just amazed me, I want to get to the point where I can tweak it manually but right now I am more than satisfied.

There is a fellow on the AVS board with shutdowns on his 49TXi. The 49 tried to boost the 8 khz band by +10 db. It is unknown whether his B&W center was blown before or after calbration, but in any case, the tweeter is blown.

The one thing that a human needs to do after calibration by MCACC is to verify that no band is boosted too much. If my 49 boosts a band by more than 3 db, I manually set it back to +3 in the custom settings.

MCACC is amazing, but has a potential for problems with too much boost, but it can be fixed manually. Enjoy your new toy, it is one of the best receivers available today.

Bill