upgrading??

Scp53

are there any processors out there that can be upgraded with out getting a whole new unit?? like upgrading it to a new dts or dolby 5.1 or 6.1 format. is this a dumb question?? just came to my mind and asked. like when some new dts 6.1 format comes out, are there processors that can go from the current DTS ES to the newer 6.1?? hope you can understand my question- Im talking processors and also receivers.

thanks to all who reply

scp53

The B&K REF 50 is software upgradeable as is my NAD T-163, I just got the new 2.0 operating system will all the newer formats, Dolby PLIIx, etc. However, I do not really alot of them, just the standard 7.1 Matrix (7-channel stereo), DD, DD EX, DTS, DTS ES primarily. I even have extended 2-channel listening choices.

Hope this helps some.

Anthem is also upgradable, both software and hardware.

Mine was a version 1 which I upgraded later to a version 2.x for $300. Their software updates are free and can be downloaded over the internet and installed by the owner. In my case a new board was installed with increased memory for future software upgrades.

The changes between versions was substantial. To me the biggest improvement were configurable crossover points by channel, and a parametric eq for the sub.

Plus they deleted all the useless hall, church, blah blah blah effects.

There's prob a few, but I don't know of any. Just buy newer and put the old unit is basement, office, or garage, you need a few around anyway.

Regarding Dolby improvements and obscelence (sp), pretty soon we'll all be up to 12. 7 sound and installing speakers in our ceilings, floors and chairs!

Like Claude Nobs (engineer with Deep Purple and Jazz man) once said:

"If God had wanted us to have Quadrophonic Sound, he would have given us FOUR ears! LOL

Michael