custom center question

firefighter

I currently have a Heresy sitting on top of my rptv and like the way it sounds with the LaScalas. I want to make a low profile center from raw birch to match the fronts, I'm guessing about 10" high to accomidate the tweeeter and mid and that should allow for two 8" speakers, lenght is not really an issue. Any recomendations on what 8's to get and would there be any problems with the crossover going to two speakers instead of one, also should the area for the 8's have a port, and are there any specific inside deminisions for the 8's. Any help with these questions and any I may have overlooked will be very helpfull as I have a lot to learn.

Thanks, Jack.

Just a couple of observations - I'l let others help on specific driver recommendations. I have done the same as you with Heresy horns and a couple of 7 inch drivers.

1. Porting - that is a bit of a personal choice. how low you want to go and the mechanical make up of the woofer are your two issues. If you have a sub (as I do) you may very well only need a woofer combination that goes to around 50 -70hz for the -3 to -6 db point. It is all a matter of what you seek. I went with a sealed box.

2. Size of box - there are several free programs on the web for designing the box. I used the golden ration and that was best handled by the WINIsd program - you could put in two dimensions and it would calculate the third. WinIsd, Bosplot and Unibox all follow the classic calculations in designing the interior space for the thiele/small measurements of your woofers. Always to remember to calculate the space occupied by the horn lens, drivers and crossovers when building to interior space. Each of the programs mentioned can also design for porting as well. I found that I use all three when I build due to the ease of various calcs in each.

3. Carefully look at the Thiels/small on the speakers you plan on using and try for a good match. I found that there were several options that worked well with the existing type e crossover I used. In all the cases I found that wiring the speakers in parallel worked best - it also gave me a 3 - 6 db uptick in efficiency and made little difference when providing a 4 ohm instead of 8 ohm impedence. That helped me settle on an older Fostex for my mid woofs. See if Klipsch can give you the specs on the existing woofer so you can try to match so that you have little modification on the Xover (i had to add a bit of resistance to mine).

Lots of folks can help you on this with other options. I suggest you dive in and see what happens...

My center can be seen here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwatkins/id63.htm

Good Luck

I would have thought those dual-cone woofers would have had too much response up high in the midrange area -- in effect overlapping with frequencies played by the squawker. I would think that might give you too much midrange output overall as well as possibly muddy it up.

I concur with Henry. I have La Scala's and needed a center to keep up. I would have liked to use another La Scala but due to size constraints I went the custom route. Personally I like the dual woofer setup. I went with 2 10" drivers for mine and also used 2 4" flared ports in the rear. You can go to my custom center construction web site for pics and specs.

http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/Custom_Center.html

Good luck and have fun building your own awesome center.

I wouldn't go to the expense or trouble of using the Academy woofers. Another problem with them is their specs aren't readily available so it would likely be harder to get them to sound right (using the Heresy crossover). In all honestly, Klipsch speakers are really known for their horns and not their woofer drivers -- so you should be able to find an aftermarket driver that's at least as good (or even better) than any Klipsch woofers.