SVS PB1-ISD VS HSU STF-3 $600 sub shootout

firefighter

I've been doing a lot of reading on subs in this price range and I came across this review by Ed Mullen on the homehteatre forum that seemed unbias. (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190398) I have heard much about the SVS cylinder subs but not the boxes. I brought this thread here because I have the Lascalas and need the best sub for them, I've been told here that speed is an issue. If I remember right Trey said that he didn't feel that the SVS was the best speaker for the LaScala, if I'm not mistaken he was testing the cylinder subs and based his opinion on that, are the boxes faster. The Ears told PSG that he wouldn't go wrong with the hsu-stf3 and I trust his opinion. This review shows the SVS just nudging the HSU but doesn't mention anything that I remember about speed, is the HSU faster? Keep in mind there is much that I don't know but am trying to learn. If I misquoted any one here please forgive me as I mean no disrespect, my head is clogged from all the reading and if it seems like I am analyzing it to death, I am. This next sub should be the last and I want to know I did all I could to make the best decision. Any and all opinions are needed.

Thanks, Jack.

If I were to read the same review (it looks pretty thorough and factual) then I'd definitely take the PB1-isd. In the lower octaves it overtook the STF-3 and it's a slightly better buy overall. It looks like the reviewer likes SVS products as the pic of the STF in the corner also reveals a PB2-Ultra just out of view. 9.gif

anywho...

I've heard that speed is a mostly relative (and somewhat invalid) term. Wavelengths are wavelengths and soundwaves aren't something that can be speed up or slowed down by the device. All will reach you at the same time no matter what the device if emitted at the same time from the same place at the same frequency and volume. But I'm no expert.

I believe "speed" is usually used to refer to how fast the driver can "react" to changes. In well designed products, such as both the SVS and HSU, "speed" should not be an issue. The biggest concern w/ speed was in the 70s-80s w/ those big drivers being used in full-range speakers. Many of them had underpowered magnets, coils, etc. and simply did not have enough EMF to "accelerate" the driver the way it needed to be.

John

----------------

On 8/23/2004 8:11:01 AM firefighter wrote:

This next sub should be the last and I want to know I did all I could to make the best decision. Any and all opinions are needed.

Thanks, Jack.

----------------

If your next sub is truely to be your last there are many other factors to consider besides a comparo review. Room size is one biggie. Two different similarly priced subs may behave completely differently outside the confines of a test lab. It is my experience that most people who own LaScalas don't have them in a tiny room. You may wish to look beyond your potential selections to subs with more bass horsepower, even if it means a brief delay to accumulate the extra funds. I say this from experience, I was at your decision point once before and chose a sub (SVS 2039pci) that was formidable but insufficiently potent for my room size. Neddless to say that lead very quickly to an unplanned upgrade.

I could give you many recommendations, however, may I suggest you avail yourself of one of the benefits of SVS. If you fax or email your requirements, your room dimensions, equipment placement and seating to SVS they will respond to you with recommendations as to which sub you should be looking at. The expertise behind those recommendations goes way beyond anything you may be able to pick up here. This is a free service with no obligation to buy and they will not try to oversell you. I have even heard instances where their recommendations were for other brands of subs!!!! For myself, this kind of personalized service and concern for customer speaks volumes about a company and it's products. Those very important aspects unfortunatly are never brought up in a test report.

Jerry Rappaport

Jerry,

Thanks for the advice, my room is small 18 x 15 so needing a more powerful sub didn't seem to be a concern, actually my LaScalas are too big for the room but I just couldn't pass on them. I didn't know svs offered that service, it will be interesting to see what they recommend.

Thanks again,

Jack.

I agree with Jerry. E-mailing or faxing the SVS is very helpful when deciding what sub to go with. You also want to let them know what type of music you primarily listen to, and just how loud (at the max) you listen to movies and music.

You could also do a similar thing and fax or e-mail your dimensions and tastes to Dr. Hsu and/or Sasha over at HSU. Don't get me wrong, I love my SVS subs, but I also own a HSU (in my secondary system) and also recommend their subs very highly. Dr. Hsu and his staff have been very helpful to me (as SVS was/is) in choosing and setting up subs.

Good luck.

Carl.