Look at this old Khorn

Colin

That's a standard K-500-5000 crossover and standard K-5-J mid-horn. Actually, that stuff looks exactly like my '60 Khorns. I think it's earlier than that because of the University mid driver, that what was used prior to K-55-V. I think it's an SA-HF or some similar designation. That's a K-33 woofer in there, at least they bought the right parts when they replaced the original Stephens Tru-Sonic. There's guys out there that will kill for Stephns Tru-Sonics, they might even want it blown. I wouldn't be surprised if there's nothing wrong with it. Somebody may have decided to replace it because it's old. I'd certainly be checking it before assuming it's trashed.

Colin

That is a single Khorn.

I used took a closer look with a photediting program and I believe the serial number is "589 " which if I am correct about the number would definitely indicate that it is very early indeed.

The first year's output were numbered 1 through 21. The next year PWK started the serial numbers at 120 or 121. My best guess is 1950 to 1952.

I'm going to try again and see if I can make out the signature. I will report back with results ( or lack therof).

D-Man

Yes, I have the wooden horns. There actually fibreglass over wood. My Khorns were built in early '60. One of the wood horns has a date in 12/59 written on the label. Mine have K-55-V drivers, they mount on an aluminum adapter which in turn mounts on the horn. I've seen it said that those are sectoral rather than exponential like the K-400 and 401. I don't really know this for a fact, but there is a substantially different shape.

Mine have the K-33-J Jensen woofers and the chrome and gray EV T-35 tweeters with Klipsch labels on the back. The early T-35's are a little different looking from the later style. The back end of them is flat, not rounded off like the later ones.

I believe mine are 100% original, there's no indication that any part was changed or updated.

I think the date is right as my 51 khorns are around #250

and my 58/59 horns are around #1100

so 500 should be about in the mideel of that 55.

Also all khorns made before 60 are dated on the terst Id tag.

I also noticed that they must have made most of the mid horns at one time as both my 58 and 59 (untoched ) khorns have 56 dated Mid horns.