Upgrade? RF-3's to RB-75's for HT?

jephdood

I've got two pairs of RF-3's in my setup now serving as mains and rears in a 7.1 setup with an RC-7 at center, and a pair of RS-3 II's for rear effects. For HT only, would a switch up from the "3" towers to the "75" 'shelves be worth the extra bit of cash and effort of selling the 3's, finding and ordering some good stands, etc?

I'd like to get RF-7's up front, but the cost is just too prohibitive right now.

On a side note, I know that the RC-7 is the appropriate center to use with the 75's, but is it just me that finds it a little disappointing that the woofer cones on the two models are so different? I'd like to take the grilles off and show a matching set of dogs across the front, but not with those two I don't think.

Jeff

Jeff:

Yes, the upgrade would be worth it, even just for HT. The 1.75 horn in the RB-75s is a different animal than the one used with the three series, and with your HSU, you should not have any concerns about lack of bass.

That being said, GCoker makes a good point. Depending on what you can get RB-75s for, there are RF-7s deals to be had - and it might be a closer gap than you think. I originally contemplated an all RB-75 setup (with a RC-7) before stumbling across a great deal on a pair of RF-7s.

And I am glad I opted for the RF-7s in front. There are not the big brother for 'nuttin.

However, not as big of a difference if you are only listening to HT (versus a mix with music).

Carl.

If I could find a pair of 7's for $1300, I would LEAP on that. But I don't expect the only dealer in my area (even though they are 'good guys') to bend much more than 15% off MSRP. And that's just not enough of a discount.

I would expect to pay about a grand out the door for RB-75's. But for that much, I wonder if the jump would be worth it over what I have right now. I know the tweet and horn is better, and yeah, I wouldn't worry about the low end.

Finding some 7's at a bargain sure would make this question moot though.

Frankly, I think that the extra $$$ is not worth it, unless you just want the TOTL Klipsch in the house. I own both the RF-3 (downstairs) and the RF-7 (main floor). Both systems see two channel and HT duty. If your main focus is HT, the center channel gets primary duty, getting most of the program material from any DVD, and you've already got the TOTL center channel in the RC-7. The RF-3's are fine speakers in their own right, & voice match just fine with the RC-7.

The only reason I'd want to trade up to an RF-7, much less the RB-75, is if my system saw as much or more duty as a 2 channel set up. And if that were the case, I'd save my money and opt for the RF-7's over the RB-75's.

Even with that said, I'm quite satisified with the performance of my RF-3's. The only reason I picked up the RF-7's is that I decided to build a 2nd system downstairs, and came across a pair of RF-7's locally for $1400 used, but only used for about 3 months, and I got boxes, manuals, etc.