IN -or- OUT of PHASE ?

Born2RockU

What device do I purchase to check to make sure all speakers are in PHASE ?

(I have a test dvd that sends the "In or Out" phase signal thru all speakers.)

Umm... I don't know of a device that checks to make sure all speakers are in phase.... but there probably is one somewhere.

I would say the only device you need would be your ears...

You say you have DVD that does in/out of phase for all speakers? A THX DVD perhaps?

Whatever the case, just listen... In phase, the speakers produce the "same" sound... which sounds more like a pursh sound... when it switches to out of phase, you will note more of a pish sound... something like that. You can tell they sound different... and if the sounds are reversed (it sounds in phase with the out of phase sound) then your speakers are reversed...

In addition to a thin sound lacking in bass, out-of-phase speakers can fight with each other and "pull and tug" at your ears as though you need to move toward one or the other for relief. If you're right in the middle, it can be as though each ear is separately hearing each speaker. They will blend much better if they're in phase. With more than one pair of speakers, I suggest checking one pair at a time, then check between pairs.

Larry

If you are only interested in the whole speaker and not the individual drivers, get a AA battery and touch the speaker wires to each end BRIEFLY and note which way the woofer cone moves.

Then decide for yourself which way you are going to call positive (could probably start a big discussion on whether the cone moving forward is positive or not) and make all the woofers move the same way. Then mark the terminals accordingly.