A bit of understanding needed

Skidmarks

I have a couple of questions to better understand upgrading and instaling a powered sub. I am running a 5.1 Klipsch RF7 series system, using a Yamaha 7.1 A/V receiver at this time. I bought a HSU stf-2 mainly because I heard it was a good bang for the buck. I think I get more low freq. out of the RF7s than the STF-2. I would like to find a sub that will shake the walls without breaking the bank.

Also can I get an explanation of "powered sub"? I have a general understanding of what is going on here, but I had a hell of a time just getting sound to come out of my sub at first install, just because I did not know or see the little "in" and "out" switch at the bottom of the sub?

When I adjust the controls at the sub , I seem to get no change , except the phase switch. I run the setup program "YPAO" and get test tones from every speaker but the sub, is that normal?

Feel free to edjucate one of the new guys

2.gif

I have a hard time believing that the RF7s have deeper bass than the STF-2. Nonetheless, I would recommend getting something with more power like the VTF-3 MKII or something from SVS. It would match better.

Most subs are powered. It just means they have their own amp built in. They don't get power from the receiver like your RF7s.

Looks like the RF7s have 2 10" woofers and are rated at 32Hz-20kHz ±3dB. That's pretty deep for tower speakers. The STF-2 is +/- 2db at 25hz. So it's not really a whole lot deeper than than the RF7s. I would definately suggest something with more power.

Something is definately not right with the setup though. The in/out switch on the sub has to do with the crossover. You should have sound coming out either way. 'In' means it uses the internal crossover in the sub, while 'out' means it uses the external crossover which is in your receiver. Once you get it set up properly, then you can decide if you need something bigger.

----------------

On 8/27/2004 9:19:27 AM Skidmarks wrote:

I have a couple of questions to better understand upgrading and instaling a powered sub. I am running a 5.1 Klipsch RF7 series system, using a Yamaha 7.1 A/V receiver at this time. I bought a HSU stf-2 mainly because I heard it was a good bang for the buck. I think I get more low freq. out of the RF7s than the STF-2. I would like to find a sub that will shake the walls without breaking the bank.

Also can I get an explanation of "powered sub"? I have a general understanding of what is going on here, but I had a hell of a time just getting sound to come out of my sub at first install, just because I did not know or see the little "in" and "out" switch at the bottom of the sub?

When I adjust the controls at the sub , I seem to get no change , except the phase switch. I run the setup program "YPAO" and get test tones from every speaker but the sub, is that normal?

Feel free to edjucate one of the new guys

2.gif

----------------

I definitely agree that something is wrong with your setup. Everything you said shouldn't be happening.

But with RF-7's I would be more inclined to upgrade from your STF-2. A VTF-3 or an SVS would be a better match for your RF-7's.

Yes, if I would have known more about the stf-2 I would have gotten something more powerful. Although I bought the sub while waiting for the 7s to arrive. I knew nothing about powered subs, (obviously still dont)so I went with some reviews I had read online, and liked the price.

Here is the way it is connected( I had nothing to go by but the directions supplied with my equipment: monster cable (labeled for subwoofer connection)from sub pre out to single mono input at the sub.I see there are optional ways to connect the sub, but this is my first time building a HT , and I am new to most modern stereo equipment, so I went with advice given to me at the time to go the mono route. I guess thats all, you tell me?

That is interesting,it is set up for LFE. In fact it gives you the choice of either no LFE, LFE and front, or just LFE. I have mine set on LFE. I think this just tells the receiver where to send the LFE.

I will look into this in the morning.

(quote)

For example, if your sub is set on the receiver to only play LFE signals only, then it won't play all of the bass. Check the manual for your receiver.

Tell me , I thought you wanted your sub to use the LFE. So what your saying is there is a difference between LFE and bass? And if it is set on LFE it will not play bass?

Thanks for the help, It is nice to have this forum for such issues. I have not found a true professional audio video person in my venture, that knows enough to instruct me with "common" and "basic" issues.

I will let you know my finds .

Try setting it to LFE and front. I think that should help a lot.

LFE is usually just the signal from Dolby Digital Movies that contains that extra deep bass. There is also a lot of bass in the front channels. If the sub is set to LFE only, it will not play all of the bass that is in the soundtrack.

My mistake it is set on "both" and my front 3 channels are set to large, (RF7, RC7) while the back 2 surounds are set to small (RS7s). Its odd why my manual highlights the recomended settings for THX, like setting it to LFE only, and setting the crossover to 80hz. and the settings for size are all small.It also recommends to set the LFE level at 0hz.

A powered subwoofer means that it is a self-powered unit that requires a low-level signal, like a regular amplifier. The gain control is the amount of voltage gain that the amplifier will increase the low-level signal, so that the subwoofer driver has an appropriape amount of voltage and current to do work.

I am sure that denon recommends setting all the speakers to small and setting the crossover in the receiver to 80 hz, as most of today's small boutiqe ( pretty ) speakers will not handle any bass at all.

There are different schools of thought here - some people cut the low frequencies from their main Rf7's, and direct these instead to the subwoofer. I personally feel that this is a waste of a speaker that can handle the low frequencies with power. The people that have done that report that the midbass and midrange seems to be a lot clearer, by taking the load of the main speakers. Whether this is true, I do not know, but I would say to try a few settings, like mains small with the bass cut at 80 hz and the subwoofer handling the low frequencies, and also the mains set to large + subwoofer.

Your mileage may vary, so the best way to find out what is going to work is to try it.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank you all for your suggestions, I am responding to this again because the issue I had ben having with the HSU sub was entirly the fault of the speaker wires , and a missing piece of tape that uses an aero to tell you which way to plug the wire into the sub?

The hero who told me to try this assured me that I must have torn the tape

off the wire giving you direction. Anyhow I switched and now my sub rocks and I just wanted to throw that out there for future idiots like me. lol