Members Weekly Music Recommendations-August 30

hooting_monkey

Rules be simple: Name of Individual/Group, Title, Genre, and Media (CD, LP, MD, ECT.

Mine for this week is:

Final Fantasy VII OST, Nobuo Uematsu, Orchistrated/Video Game, CD

This guy is a musical mastermind. Great songs that demand to be listened to loud. "One Winged Angel" is a song nobody would forget if they played the game.

Thanks Hootin for keeping this going in my absence. Once I get organized a little bit I have something to try that should bring us some more participants.

Let's try:

Shelby Lynn, "I am" Cd, alt country. She started out as pure country but I didn't discover here and fall in love until I got this cd. Superb. Her sister (can't remember her name) is also supposed to be very, very good.

Shelby Lynne's sister is Alison Moorer. Shelby is HOT! (in a trashy kinda way11.gif)

My recommendation for the month is "Robinella & the CC String Band". jazz/pop/country/bluegrass/blues...or something like that! Whatever you call it, it's excellent.

This week's pick: "Deacon John's Jump Blues." DVD-A, also playable on any DVD, includes Dolby Digital and DTS tracks.

Deacon John, backed by a big band, plays some mean toe-tappin' soul and blues classics that are danceable from the opening licks. Deacon plays guitar and sings most of the tunes. He's backed by some of New Orleans best, including allen Toussaint, Dr. john and Tweedy Boutte (great pipes!).

I got the disk direct from the label, AIX, at www.aixrecords.com. Like all AIX stuff, the mix and engineering are first-rate, extras are plentiful, and while you may pay a buck or 2 extra, but I have yet to feel I didn't get more than my money's worth from them.

My first recommendation in here.

Just finished my first listen of Bob Marley - Young Mystic, hybrid SACD. Wow!

A very sweet sounding collection of Marley music with amazing bass. I don't think my woofers have worked so hard since the last time I listened to the Telarc 1812 Overture SACD. You can shake the house without a sub with this recording.

Vocals are clean and sweet.

From the liner notes:

"For the most part, you are hearing the true sound of the original session masters for the first time here."

"I did not use any compression when mastering this disc. In fact, these mixes are unique to this release and were done live to DSD and PCM without any processing, insuring that you will hear the 'breath of life' that has been hidden in these performances for 35 years."

- Steve Hoffman

A warning to MC or stereo only fans, these are basically dumps of the two track masters, spliting one track (instruments) in one channel and the other track (vocals) in mono.

Black Eyed Peas, rap, CD. There is not much in the way of rap music that I like but this CD is pretty good. It's not the run of the mill punk bragging about all of the money and women they wish they had. Instead this CD has good lyrics and music and is well done.