best video card under $200

neomartic

Looking to build a new, decent machine, but funds are short, this is what I have thus far:

Abit NF7-S motherboard

Athlon Mobile XP 2600+

Corsair XMS Extreme 512 DDR PC-3200

Seagate 160GB 7200 SATA

I plan on using my current case, which is a cheap factory compaq, but a new case is not in the budget and my current cd drives and floppy drive. I also am just going to use my current Audigy for the sound. I plan on using this for Doom 3 and some other games, but I'm not willing to "go all out" on this one.

Can someone please recommend me a good video card to accompany this system. Under $200 preferred. I want to be able to run Doom 3 on at least medium in 1280 X 1024 resolution.

Well if you don't wanna wait for the 6600GT (Which is a real beast for $200, this card will do almost 45fps average at 1024x768 at 4xAA/8xAF in Doom 3)

If your primary concern is doom 3 with a few others, while at the same time not willing to wait. Look inot the Radeon 9800 Pro or the Geforce FX 5900XT.

Nothing in the market at the moment under $200 will run DOOM3 at 1280x1024 at medium settings. However, like I mentioned to Innovazero before, wait for the $200 cards coming out very very soon. Look for the 6600gt and the x700pro... methinks those two will be very competetive for your money.

If you really want to blow $200 right at this moment, go with the 9800pro - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

No 9800 no matter how overclocked(and you can only boost it a bit unless real HARDWARE voltage mods are done with serious cooling increase)will run Doom 3 smoothly at 1280*1024 in high detail.

And do not even try to argue here,as I have a 9800XT Ultimate Edition,a X800PRO and a X800XT-PE.The X800PRO at 525C/1000M with a A64 3400 can almost runn Doom 3 smoothly at ALL TIMES...all times at 1280*1024.The 9800 cannot,there will be moments when the game dips well below 20FPS like it or not.

The 9800 is too slow(GPU/memory bandwith)to be worthy above 1024*768 if you want smooth gameplay in Doom 3.

----------------

On 9/4/2004 11:03:05 AM darkpark wrote:

ps: is that Jack that I see on the left?

----------------

Haha! Yea it is, that pic was taken up at our cottage up north (about 30 min. east of the Mackinac bridge on the water) while on vacation with some friends this summer.

So Ear, you think that for this "budget machine" the 6600GT will be the best card to go with? For the money obviously.