Outboard DAC around $400 or less

meuge

I am pretty sure it'd have to be used at that price, but I would like to hear your opinions as to what models I should be looking at. Also if you come upon a good buy, I'd appreciate it if you could share the link with me. I'd obviously like to hear from anyone who might be selling theirs around my price range. The ones I've been looking at so far have been the Channel Islands models and the MSB Link III.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

I got myself an MSB Link III for $250 from Audiogon. It's a great improvement over having used a receiver as a DAC. There is little change in the soundstage, but a tremendous improvement in instrument separation, as well as how natural the instruments sound. For the price, it's an awesome upgrade.

----------------

On 9/30/2004 9:01:27 AM Piranha wrote:

Would you do it again and why? Thanks!

----------------

Most definatley, it just really cleans up the sound from CD's, makes them sound smoother and more natural especially when you pair it with a Monarchy Audio DIP classic jitter reducer box, that made a nice diffrence with a blacker background, and smoother highs due to less jitter.

----------------

On 9/30/2004 10:56:26 AM meuge wrote:

I got myself an MSB Link III for $250 from Audiogon. It's a great improvement over having used a receiver as a DAC. There is little change in the soundstage, but a tremendous improvement in instrument separation, as well as how natural the instruments sound. For the price, it's an awesome upgrade.

----------------

Thats great, glad you are liking the MSB DAC, it is a great improvement for sure!

Not the last in DACs but the MSB DAC has few detractors who are vocal inprint.

One opinion I heard was the DAC II has better components.

I bought a DAC III and lent it to a friend whose house burned down and put the upsampling outboard to the LINK II via the GW LAbs jitter reducer and updampling box.

A good DAC by any competent manufacturer will reduce jitter, edge, grain, smearing and listener fatigue.

Most noticable to me in cymbals, snare, vocals and massed strings.

----------------

On 9/30/2004 5:11:39 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

Would you do it again and why? Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You have to fly to Michigan for the weekend to figure it out.

If I can get an outboard MSB Link III for $250, that's less than a round tripper to Detroit with rental car and hotel.
2.gif
Heck if I don't like it I can always sell it and still be way ahead right?
2.gif

Santana was better live 20 years ago any way.----------------

And I don't know about that. He's still pretty darned good. And FWIW, I saw him in concert several times in the 70's . Most notably in Madrid in 1979 with Paco de Lucia and Joan Baez.

Most notably in Madrid in 1979 with Paco de Lucia and Joan Baez.

Show off!

I saw him a couple of times.

Most notably in Cobo Hall in Detroit. It aint as pretty as Madrid I am sure but it was a rockin venue in its day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have always recomended buying a used DAC as an experiment.

A better investment than flying to Michigan.

my local audio shop owner sayes that things thing can be used as a DAC. he sayes that it has been reviewed very well and there is a buzz about it in the recording industry. the coolest part for me was the LCD display, you could have it show the equalizer, or vu meters, or a bunch of other stuff. it can be found for under $350 online.

http://www.behringer.com/deq2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG