Good Car Stereo under $300.00

Marshal

I need a new Car Receiver/CD player with a budget not to exceed $300 USD. I need a good radio, CD player with CD-R/RW compatibility and MP3 would be nice too.

I don't need anything real extravagant. No monster speakers, or XM/Sirius sat radio, or DVD. Just the basics with great reliability. Reliability is a real priority. Don't want it crapping out after only 2-3 years.

What's the best brand for reliability? Pioneer, JVC, Kenwood? Any lemon brands to avoid? I've always just used the stock equipment that came with the car. But the stock stereo has crapped out after six years, and the local Ford dealer said I could get a good new one at H.H. Gregg or similar store for less than what they'd charge, as in $300-400.

I recently purchased an Eclipse radio for 215.00 Installed. Good 3 year warranty and good power. Plays mp3 also. Since you spoke of hh gregg, I assume your in IN.

I also have had good luck with Pioneer. Basically it depends on your looking and seeling what works, price, feel, and budget wise. Good Luck

I'm personally a fan of the sony head units...they've got plenty of models to let you choose exactly the features you're looking for.

Check out http://www.crutchfield.com. They've got good prices, good customer support and they'll get you hooked up with all the mounting crap that you'll need for your specific vehicle (you'd be surprised how not standard the standard head unit gets mounted)

I personally own something similar to the Sony CDX-M8805X - CD/MP3 receiver ($350) which has an active black panel faceplate (which is very much a stupid wow factor). The thing I like about it though is the 7 band graphic equalizer that I can use to EQ the system. It also has two tone controls (high and low) as well as a loudness control which means that i have 9 sources of EQ which I've found to be very helpful. (it also has the DSO which makes for 10, but i don't use it).

I would look for a NOS Alpine CDA-9815, it was just replaced this year with the CDA-9835. This unit has a MOSFET chip in it and when you connect the 10Ga wire to the battery the thing will deliver an honest 25-30W per channel, it is rated at 60W X 4 but that is obviously peak. It also features 3 sets of preouts for future upgradability. It will play CD's, CD-R's, CD-RW,s, MP3's, and WMA's and has the ability to be uploaded with personalized info from Alpine's "Ipersonalize" web site to customize your deck. I had one and loved it, I only parted with it to pick up a CDA-7998 instead, since I was able to get it at $400 off the original price of $800.

If you have a chance to get the CDA-7998 for $400 it would be worthwhile to do so if you planning running the head unit with amplifier's since the 7998 offers no internal amplification. Hell even Crutchfield was offering the 7998 at the $400 price down from the normal $799.

The 7998 runs a Orion XTR-450 & XTR-2150 feeding a pair of cast frame Cerwin Vega HED CS-18A's 6X9's from the golden car audio era in the rear, and a pair of Pioneer 5 1'4" coaxials in the front, with two Orion NT2 10" Subwoofers in a sealed enclosure in the trunk and it sounds stellar!

Good luck with your choice!

I'll second the Sony recommendation. They made good reliable CD players for the car. You get what you pay for though. If the ES models are still available, they are good quality Sony's and can be had for around $300.

If you didn't mind the factory unit, you should be able to pick up a replacement from a junk yard for cheap money too...

/Ken

Sony's good I also used to dig Alpine, and Clarion. Crutchfield has really good deals on car stereos and a kit for free so even people like me can install them professionally. Fits right in your dash just like a pro did it just give them your car or trucks/sub/tank/jets make and model.