sub recommendation: SVS or RSW

tpg

I don't use my home theater a whole lot anymore... just don't have much time and sometimes don't want to sit around for hours in the same seat just watching a movie. But, when I do, I am somewhat dissapointed at times. My system is in transition from KG to Reference... I still need an RC-3... but since I don't watch movies often, I figured I should go for a sub first.

Really, my subs aren't bad... but I don't like running things very hard, so I don't. I, in turn, get somewhat mediocre bass response. It has peaks... and it has nulls... depending on the song/movie. The bass presence is never consistant.

I have primarily been listening to music recently... and had never considered the RSW line before because they were too expensive for me, really. I could save that much... but it IS a lot of money. When I demoed my RF-3's, I also got to demo the RSW-12... and I kind of fell in love instantly. It sounded great in the demo room... and they can offer me a pretty darn good deal on it since they are closing out on Klipsch.

That got me to thinking... I'd like to have that to stick in between my RF-3's under my TV... 9.gif But, it is still a lot of money even with a good deal.

The sub I built (sealed cylinder kind with Adire DPL12 driver) sounds good... but it takes all 600W I am giving it to play at the same levels my RF-3's can do with 20W. I really don't want to run the thing that hard either... it gets a pretty good workout as it is.

The KSW-12 does put out some more SPL... but it does tend to get a little muddy/boomy in the upper bass when I run it at anything above 5.5 on the volume knob.

When I listen to music, I really just want two speakers and one sub playing. I cannot just use my RF-3's and KSW-12... because the RF's put out more bass than the KSW when I am running them stereo (not 5-channel stereo). So, I just run my RF's direct with no sub at all. Another downside is that in order to run the sub I built I need to have my power amp going... and it has two fans in it to keep the amp cool. This produces more noise than I like... and is really annoying during movies.

Here is the catch, though... the decision is not easy at all. When I am listening to music, I want just one GOOD sub... VERY punchy (I don't like TONS of bass... I just want it to sound very full). I am not a bass-head by any means... and too much bass really annoys me. I just want more impact than what I currently have. For movies, on the other hand... the punchy bass is not as important... and instead I want a good low-bass performer. I was just testing my system to see what I wanted... and I feel that a little more low-end could not hurt.

In this case... what would you all think? If I went with the RSW-12, I'd be out a good $900 or so... which is a lot... but also a lot less than retail. SVS-wise, I'd probably go with a PB1-ISD or 25-31PCi. SO the SVS would cost less... but... I am not sure if I should cheap out here. I am totally confused... and hoping someone can shed some light here. Thanks all!

from what you stated that you want(PUNCHY BASS), I think the rsw is a much better choice. but Ive never heard the svs subs so I can't compare the rsw12 to them.

maybe you should go with a titanic mk3 15" kit for $~630 from partsexpress.com. I have one and just had to mention its bigger brothers- the 12 and 15" kit. Im sure it(the 12 or 15" titanic) is comparable to the rsw 12 and maybe the rsw15 in some ways. the driver is made in the USA and VERY VERY well built. no shortcuts there. and the cabs are painted well, have spiked feet, braced and over all well constructed. and the amps that come are good too- at least for plate amps they are. the 12 and 15" titanics amps(500/1000wt rms 4ohms) have parametric eqs and some other stuff that the rsw sub amp doesn't have. the eq will give you better placement and tuning and matching with your rf3s. just a thought. not saying the rsw is bad just pointing out a additional feature on the titanic sub.

but if a partial DIY route(the titanic kit) is not an option get the rsw 12. I should also mention if you don't want to build it you can pay $100 or so more and have it prebuilt(isn't that a rip off?? ). the titanic is a VERY good deal regardless if its prebuilt or a kit.

and as for your comment about pushing the sub hard, I also am very carefull about this. but the titanic can take a lot so usually I set it low enough to handle all the peaks or explosions. Im sure the titanic 15" is a "how much bass to do you want" kind of sub. you won't have to work this one. ok, Ill shut up now. im sorry for my long windedness

scp53

I am very long-winded too... heh Takes me a while to explain things.

I had thought a little about the Daytons... and about doing another DIY sub... but the results are quite untested for the most part. Most folks have experience with consumer products... and not DIY... so there is really no way to compare.

I will keep that in mind... it may not be a bad idea in the end.

I just recently bought an RSW-15 and to be completely honest, I couldn't be happier. The bass is very tight with a lot of punch (as you probably already know). But I used to own a 20-39 PC+ so I know both SVS and Klipsch sounds like pretty well.

Overall I'd say the RSW is an incredible sub and well worth the extra money. While the SVS was really good for the price, I think the RSW was an overall better investment. But of course that's just to my ears.

I understand what your saying. I still say that a titanic 15" preassemble kit is the way to go. can't think of the price but its similar to that rsw12 your looking at.

and keep this in mind also: alot of DIY is done off no plans or anything. people buy the drivers, amps, etc and use a program to design the box. and then they make it. in this case(whether its a kit or get a preassembled one) its designed buy Van Dickenson(spelling??) so you know its well built/designed. Van is the king of DIY so he's an expert. just a thought.

either way you'll end up with a VERY nice sub.

good luck 2.gif

scp53

TPG,

The RSW-15 and 12 are highly recommended, I think they are well built, pack a punch, and are clean sounding. Theear probably has frq/spl numbers on them; all I can say is they sounded awesome to me, MUCH better than my KSW-12 (ie depth, SPL, etc)

TPG I have a question for you and anyone else that has experience with DIY subs. I am considering purchasing an Adire audio DPL12 and power it with a Samson 700 watt amp (350W per Voice coil). I plan to build the cabinet using the 15" Passive Radiator plan off Adire Audio's web site (I tried to attach it to this message, hope it works). I'm wondering how it would perform comared to other commercial subs in its price range (650.00) I know Hsu, SVS, and outlaw have some good subs under 650, but I'm hoping it may perform even better. I'd like to know what you all think before I fork out that kind of cash..................I am in the military......Enlisted........work almost 80hrs per week........but do get the satisfaction of serving America.......HalleluYah!

PR15andDPL12ComboKit.pdf

It's ok... I don't mind sharing a thread. heh I am not one of those easily angered people when it comes to those kind of things... I don't mind at all.

RSW-15? Saw that recommendation above... Short answer... No. heh I would love to have one... but I really cannot afford that.

TPG,

I know your asking about SVS and Klipsch, but I heard the Outlaw LFM-1, designed by DR. Hsu, is a very well rounded sub. I forget the web site, but I read a review on the outlaw vs SVS PB2-ISD. Very in depth review, posted graphs on db at all the frq ranges and everything. If I remember correctly, the reviewer stated the only noticeable place where the SVS had an edge was down LOW. Not that the LFM-1 can't go low, just the SVS went lower. It was a while ago ahen I read it, but I think reviewer said the Outlaw proved to be a better sub (price vs. performance). Again thats just his opinion, but he does have db #s posted as well.

I found a review that compared the Outlaw to the SVS 25-31... one of the other subs I was looking at. He said that they performed very similarly... but he gave the slight edge to the Outlaw. And, I will say... the Outlaw certainly does look nice. It ranks up there with the RSW-12 as far as looks go, IMO. The cylinder subs look ok and all... mine is a cylinder... and I really do kind of wish it was a box.

I had the 2531 pci (not long)it was a good performer and at $550 or so,for HT its a winner.As you know its backed by a first rate bunch and thats a big + also.

Now as to the rsw12 I had one of those also,great sub,superior to the 2531 in every way to me but,I listen to lots of music/concerts/5.1 audio.I ended up w/the 15 really because 1.I got it way below list 2.The cherry finish matches my 7's 3.I would have always wished I got the 15.After owning a few years I could have easily lived w/the 12.

If you can get a 12 for say $800 its worth it,if you have to spend more you may as well step up to the pb2.P.S. after walking over and lookin' at the 15 up close(haven't lately)it is a big sob.

The dealer quoted me $850 on the RSW-12... but I think I might could talk him down to $800. They are closing on Klipsch products and moving to B&W while also keeping their Boston Acoustics products. There is not a huge Klipsch market around here...

The RSW-15 would be very nice, yes... I have kind of wanted a 15" sub since they are really powerful... but I just cannot see me putting that much into a sub. Dang... it's a lot. Heck, $850 is a lot. But... I am going to try and see if they will let me have an in-home demo of that thing. It's not going anywhere fast... no one else has looked at it or asked about it. I can leave them some cash as collateral... heh

As of now, I think I have ruled out the 25-31PCi. It will be kind of large and obtrusive... and I really do kind of want a box sub. My cylinder sub is cool and all, but... I think I prefer boxes. The PB-1ISD, maybe... but not very sure on that at all.

The Outlaw still sticks out... folks seem to like it and it ranks up there with some bigger SVS's. So, I think I am down to either the Outlaw or RSW-12. Still leaning towards RSW-12, though.... cause it is just so darned cool and its woofers match my RF-3's. I am a sucker for those older copper woofers (really I DO NOT like the new copper woofers in the Rx-x5 series). I think when it is all said and done, the RSW-12 would be the better sub between all of them... but... I might hopefully get to see. 9.gif

BTW- the comparison of the Outlaw and 25-31 is here.

The one with Outlaw and PB-2ISD is here.

I just saw this thread, or I would have jumped in earlier.

Since you don't want a tube, I won't bother telling you how much I love my 24-31PCi, which I had tuned to 22Hz. What I will tell you though, is I believe the SVS PB1-ISD and the Outlaw LFM-1 will do a better job of blending with music than the RSW-12 will. I haven't heard a sub blend ANYTHING like my SVS blends w/ music. When it's playing, it absolutely disappears into the mains. When people hear it for the first time, they wonder if it's on. I then turn it off and they go, "Oh, it WAS on."

John

BTW, the one thing about the Outlaw/SVS link is that the "reviewer" owned an SVS then purchased an Outlaw. Generally, we're going to like what we just spent money on. I'm not saying the Outlaw is not better, I've heard great things about it. Just pointing that out, FYI.

----------------

On 9/6/2004 1:47:42 AM yromj wrote:

What I will tell you though, is I believe the SVS PB1-ISD and the Outlaw LFM-1 will do a better job of blending with music than the RSW-12 will.

----------------

i really don't think that's the general consensus on klipsch subs. not around here, anyway. the rsw subs are considered to be outstanding musical performers.

I find myself leaning more and more towards the RSW-12... but I am still undecided.

Ear? You out there? I wouldn't mind a good comparison story... RSW-12 against some other subs of yours to give me an idea of whether it is what I should go with or not.

Thanks all... I am still thinking... 14.gif