3-blade power w/ground into 2-blade components?

Snails_Pace

I recently bought a new power cable from a friend on another board and wanted to audition any of the "supposed" advantages of upgrading such items myself before investing more heavily into a hobby like this. However, both of the components I wanted to try the cable on (sub and receiver) have 2-blade IEC sockets while the power cable has a 3-blade IEC connector with a ground pin and 2 blades on the electrical plug. I understand that the ground pin connects the metal frame of the actual component to the electrical ground in wall plug. However, let's say I go ahead and plug the cable into my 2-blade components anyway; is there any danger involved with having the ground pin connected at the wall receptacle but no associated blade to make the connection at the component end? Thanks!

----------------

On 9/5/2004 8:57:26 AM ironwoods wrote:

Hi, no.

If the OEM only has a 2 pronger, you're OK.

I'd only worry if it was the other way around.

I'm surprised the female plug fits.
6.gif

I don't have any of that fancy-shmancy gear.
16.gif
----------------

Thanks for the feedback. By OEM I'm assuming you mean the components and not the cord--just making sure. The female end does indeed fit into the socket though it's not as tight a connection as I would have hoped!

Thanks again!

Thanks for the feedback. By OEM I'm assuming you mean the components and not the cord--just making sure. The female end does indeed fit into the socket though it's not as tight a connection as I would have hoped!

Thanks again!

----------------

OEM is the original equipment manufacturer.