ACADEMY vs rs 7 upgrade?

ken kaz

here is my dilema....currently my system is a set of chorus IIs (main), an academy (center), rs3s (surround)

i am buying a rx z9 yamaha.

i need an additional set of speakers for the rear surround.

i am considering the rb 75s for the rear.

quesiton 1) will the rs-3s be adeauate for the side speakers

question 2) will the academy be adequate for the center.

i could upgrade to the rs-7 and the rc-7 but i need to know if there is going to be an improvement worth the investment.

the rx z9 has 175 watts x 7 and i am worried about the power handling level of the academy and the rs3s

thanks for your advise

kaz

Chorus2's and an Academy center? Great stuff, I'd build around them if I were you. Look for a good deal on some Quartets or even Forte2's as surrounds. You could even mix them up, Forte's as sides and Quartets as backs. Either way I think you'd be very happy with the results.

That's just my opinion.1.gif

Don't worry about the power handling of any of your speakers, they'll be fine.

i did not even think about it till you suggested the older speakers.....i have a set of heresyIIs that are being underutilized in the "family stereo". i can use them for the back surrounds.

big monsters liek the forte will not work for the sides (space) so that is why im thinking about the rs7s.

thanks for your help

kaz

kaz-

You have a great starting point for your HT. If you don't have room for Fortes or Quartets (the best matches with the Chorus II/Academy), then look at a set of KG 1.2/1.5 or 2.2/2.5. These speakers are much smaller and can easily be mounted on a wall or shelf. While they won't be a perfect timbre match with the Chorus IIs, I think they do very well in the surround locations, especially for HT. If you run SACD or DVD-A, then you will notice a difference, but I have been very pleased with them in my HT.

Your Heresy IIs could work as well, and would save you from having to buy any more speakers, but these will also not be timbre matched. Could you use the Heresys for side surrounds? Then get a smaller set of speakers for back surround. You will have a closer timbre match to the Chorus II with either Heresy or KG series vs. the Reference line.

Ken. First off I completely agree with jhawk on his reply.

I have the set-up he mentioned and am completely satisfied with it. A good timbre match is the sound remaining consistant as it moves across the different channels.??

Did I say that right??3.gif My setup does just FINE at this........

As far as the Yamaha choice, there is nothing wrong there either!

Take care

Mike ( The Yamaha/Hsu Underdog)

are you saying that klipsch no longer makes speakers that sonicly match what they made in the late 80s...early 90s?

Is it safe to say that the rs line matches the chorus/academy better than any other "surround" speaker on the market (other manufactures included)?

in my "family" system i have a set of heresys as mains and boston acoustic surrounds/boston center and that sounds great.

i really dont have room on the sides for the heresys...i would barely have room on the back for them.

is this timbre match problem between the heresy/chorus/rs system that i am proposing going to be a big mess or a small problem that the super slick automatic eq in the rx z9 will mask over?

i am almost ready to sell the chours/academy and just start over!

am i whining?

kaz

I wouldn't sell the Chorus II and Academy. They are the best parts of your system. Build around them like others said. The biggest issue with this whole setup though as I know personally is the size and space all of the heritage take up in the room. If you have a big room search Ebay for some Forte II's or Quartets. The Quartets are smaller but they tend to also be up on Ebay less often.

The reason unfortunately that you are stuck with the Chorus/Forte/Quartet/Academy line is that all of these were manufactured with the same sounding all important midrange sound and horn built in this series, or "timbre". Klipsch changes their horn mids and highs with each different series and models of speakers. You will not get it (as close at least) with any other speakers to match the Chorus II and academy.

On the other hand, you have the perfect front stage and the rears actually aren't as important truly for timbre purposes in Movies, only more in SACD or Multichannel music. If you plan to only watch movies with the 6.1/7.1 setup then your primary goal would be to find rear and surround speakers with near the same sensitivity as your front stage (101db as with the Chorus II) and usually of the same manufacturer. This will allow the rears to play at near the same volumes with the same power that is going to your fronts. Most All receivers nowadays you can boost gain on rears also making this not as much a problem.

So if I were you, here would be my dream rear channel upgrade path for 6.1 sound in order of preference:

(1) Buy 3 Academys off Ebay (I did say DREAM)

(2) Buy 3 Chorus II's off Ebay

(3) Buy 3 Forte II's off Ebay

(4) Buy 3 Quartets off Ebay

(5) Mix any of the above 4 up

(6) Buy 3 Klipsch model speakers with "near" timbre sound and near sensitivity of the Chorus II and Academy, i.e. KG series/Heresys/etc.

(7) Buy some more RS7/RS3II/RS3

It is expensive no matter what you choose, but I have to say don't shred off the Chorus II and Academy, that is a fine fine Front stage you have there (as you probably already know)

Bob

kaz-

I think others have answered your timbre question. And as Bob mentioned, don't sell your existing speakers. They are excellent, and will prove to be a very nice front trio. Bob is correct in saying that for most movies, perfect timbre matching isn't all that required. We are proof of that, since the KG series isn't doesn't have the same horns as the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line. So, in movies, they all sound great together. Multi-channel music might be a problem, but I am ok there, since the Chorus II and Forte II sound fine together.

This forum can be a good source for speakers. I actually bought both sets of Chorus IIs from fellow members. Most of us take very good care of our gear, and try to set up good deals for folks. eBay is certainly a possibility as well, though a bit more risky unless you can go see the speakers. But, for the most part, eBay is pretty good. Just watch out for shipping, as a number of folks have had bad experiences with a variety of shippers who have damaged the speakers. Something you can inspect, and then take home with you, can save the hassle on shipping.

Bob's list of upgrade paths is pretty comprehensive. Since you don't have a lot of room, I'd look for some of the smaller KG series, either 1.2/1.5 or 2.2/2.5. They are only about 9x9x13 (in the case of 1.2/1.5) or about 9x9x25 (for the 2.2/2.5) so they may fit better than the Heresys in the back. There are a few sets up on eBay right now that look to be in decent condition. Just do a search and you will find them. Also, there is an auction for 3 (!!!!) walnut Academys, so that might be worth watching. Good luck.

WOW.

These speakers are all monsters. i am getting a 9.1 set up. i will need 4 new speakers in the back.

so, you are saying that there will be a noticeable sound quality difference between the chorus/academy and the heresy, huh?

are the hereseys that they make today the same as they made 15 years ago? if the sound quality issue you talk about is marginal, i woudl love to hang the heresy's i have and buy two more new ones...these speakers are not monsters....but if it is going to sound like hell i dont want to do that

HELP!

the wife might not object too much if i found some quartets and hung them..but the room will turn in to all speakers (which is cool for me, but maybe not for her)

i wonder why the engineers at klipsch abandoned the cool sound these old speakers have.....do you have any idea?

kaz-

I guess I don't completely understand your system with your quote "four new speakers in back." I think the Yamaha receiver you are getting is "9.1" but two of those speakers are "front effects" speakers, which are meant to be hung above and outside your L/R mains. They carry minimal information, so do not need to be very expensive. I could be wrong, so some with Yahama experience can chime in here. I'm a Denon fan myself. You can certainly get away with two surround speakers and then one surround rear (back center) speaker, depending on how much room you have.

I have not compared Heresy with Chorus II, but have compared Forte I and Forte II. The Forte I has the exponential midrange horn vs. Forte II with the Tractrix. They sound pretty good together in my parent's HT; Forte IIs as L/R main (Academy center) and Forte I as L/R surrounds. They have a pair of KG 1.2 as surround back, and it sounds great. I would think that with the room separation, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference between the Heresy and Chorus II.

As far as size, the KG 1.2 and 2.2 speakers are much smaller than the Heresys you have now, so if you think you could hang Heresys without problems, you could certainly work with the KG series. The dimensions I gave are in inches, not feet, so sorry if that was your confusion.

I think your 15 year old Heresy (II?) would sound pretty close to new ones, as I don't think Klipsch has made many, if any changes. I think they still have the exponential midrange horn, so you would be good to go there. Others with more experience can make better statements than I.

Overall, I think a Chorus II/Academy/Heresy system would be great, and you probably wouldn't notice any subtle timbre differences since the Chorus IIs would not be next to the Heresys. If you tried a Heresy in between as the center, then you might notice a difference. "Sound like hell" is certainly subjective. Different people have different tolerances for "hell" so I'd give that set of Heresys a shot to see what it sounds like, and then you will know if it's worth getting a secound set.

As far as why Klipsch "abandoned" the old speakers...that can be a big argument. But suffice it to say, once Paul sold the company to Fred, Fred had a different vision for Klipsch. I really enjoy the older sound myself.

• 2 weeks later...

That should make a great system. I'd love to have the room for a set of Quartets for the rears, but for now, it just won't happen. Maybe someday, then I'd have a set of the entire line, Chorus II/Forte II/Quartet and an Academy. Let us know how your system turns out.