Carpet on walls?

Coytee

This winter we're probably going to finish our (currently unfinished and stud walls only) basement.

The main room, roughly 16x24 has 3 block exterior walls, 1 stud interior wall.

I was at audio store and they had carpet all over their wall. I mentioned this to the wife and she said she might have fabric on the wall.

(she has NO concern for HT considerations)

I told her maybe we could carpet wall, and then she could put fabric OVER the carpet...

Long story short, is that an acceptable tool in the process of making a room worthy?

If it IS, is it then a non-event, as I suspect, to add the fabric OVER the carpet? That way, I'd get the sound deadening & she'd get the visuals.

Any thoughts appreciated

Oh.. any tips on floor material? she's thinking tile, as in ceramic. personally, that's too cold/hard for me, BUT we all know who the boss is.

9.gif

Carpet, contrary to popular belief, in general, is not a real good absorber of sound. The problem is, like most materials, it absorbs sound well in a limited frequency range and not in others. For carpet its primarily in the higher frequency ranges. Heavy carpet on concrete has an absorption coefficient of only 0.37 even at 1KHz. At 2KHz it goes up to 0.60 and only slightly higher at 4KHz. The carpet underlayment actually has better sound absorption qualities than the carpet, with something like 40 oz. hair felt being best. But this material is similar in appearance and weight to rigid insulation products such as those from Owens-Corning and Roxul which perform much better acoustically. It really wouldnt make much difference putting fabric over the carpet. About the most carpet will do is cut down on some flutter echo in the hand-clap sound region. And lets not forget that for the most part, carpet is not exactly "cheap".