Pilsner test results

Tom Adams

As some of you might know, I ordered two of the Klipsch pilsner glasses when I ordered my Klipsch wall plaque. The glasses arrived safely due to excellent packing.

To prepare the glasses for testing they recieved a thorough washing in a mild solution of rather hard water and green colored Dawn dishwasing liquid. I was tempted to place them in the dishwasher, but was unsure if the pans & plates in said dishwasher with Mexican food residue might somehow taint the glasses and therefore render the test results invalid. In hindsight, if such tainting had occurred, it would only have resulted in additional data points (more on this later) having to be obtained. With the hand washing complete, the glasses were carefully dried with one of my personal favorites - a BBQ sauce stained and faded Cannon 100% cotton towel from around 1983. The glasses were then placed in the freezer of my refrigerator. It should be pointed out here that the freezer temperature was not calibrated. However, my tongue stuck quite easily, so I was satisfied.

Two days later testing began by extracting one glass and pouring the entire contents of a 12 ounce bottle of beer into it. Personally, I feel the glass did a marvelous job of containing its contents. Additionally, it held the 12 ounces with enough room left over for those who like a 1" head on your beer. However, a warning to you ham-fisted beer pourers, this glass will not tolerate a bad pour! To wit, I feel this glass is better suited for seasoned veterans - i.e. amateurs need not apply.

Next came the consumption test and I was totally amazed at how quickly the first 12 ounces went. Which gave rise to the notion that possibly several data points would be needed to ensure accuracy. Fortunately, my 12 pack would ensure that multiple data points could be obtained. The only limiting factors would be having to work the next day and how much munchie food was on-hand to support such consumption. So the decision was made and I quickly went for another beer before the glass had lost too much of its temperature.

Several data points later (hic), and after multiple trips to the restroom, I concluded that this pilsner glass lived up to every bit of the Klipsch hype - which is none. One can be assured that no matter what side of the glass you drink from, you will always get beer. The design allows even girlie-man size hands to comfortably hold it. It will get cold when frozen, it will hold 12 ounces, and it doesn't leak. I'm really not sure how much more one could ask of a pilsner glass.

Oh - and the Klipsch logo is cool too.1.gif

Tom

"Several data points later (hic), and after multiple trips to the restroom, I concluded that this pilsner glass lived up to every bit of the Klipsch hype - which is none. One can be assured that no matter what side of the glass you drink from, you will always get beer. The design allows even girlie-man size hands to comfortably hold it. It will get cold when frozen, it will hold 12 ounces, and it doesn't leak. I'm really not sure how much more one could ask of a pilsner glass"

I bout fell out of my office chair when I read this- "you will always get beer" WAY TOO MUCH. Very well written, are you sure you weren't part of the Audio Magazine Lirpa team way back when? "Fridge wasn't calibrated" hilarious man!

I do believe from E270 statistics class that all data sampling must include a minimum of n >= 30, which means that you must sample AT LEAST 30 data points for your statistical sampling to be valid. Try again.

Ok Tom, glad to your initial experience with the glasses were satsifactory. Now it's time to tweak. First, never use dish soap with beer glasses, it will ruin the head. Second, you need better inputs. I would recommend the original Check Budweiser or Pilsner Urguiel(sp). The Checks invented Pilsner after all. You could also A/B them with a good German Weiss (wheat) Bier.

Then you'll probably want to go the upgrade route. You'll neeed a new sound-dampening rack for the glasses, a high-end freezer for icing stabilization and probably a set of thick cork coasters. At this point you will be more than likely to be almost but not completly satisfied, so you'll probably play around with B&K. JBL and Altec pilsner glasses for awhile before coming back to Klipsch.

By then you will have broken one of the glasses and have to call Klipsch Technical Support. Then there's teh whole issues of tubes with these babies and how to run them using a SET amp.

Call us when you run out of money and we'll shake our heads knowingly and sympathize.

Tom,

couple things you can do that will improve the taste of the beer.

First, treat the outside rim of the base of the glass with a green felt marker. Apply the green ink evenly about the circumference, allow to dry, and repeat once. This will absorb stay light constrained within the stem and prevent oscillations from exciting the CO2 molecules, thus helping maintain the even percipitation of the gas out of the liquid over time. Beer will not go flat nearly as quickly in a properly treated glass.

Second, resting your beer on an Mpingo Disc rather than a cork, felt or stone coaster will help maintain the proper head by damping any vibrations, either environmental or those resulting from the implosions of the CO2 bubbles as they strike the walls of the glass' bell.

colterphoto1 - CUT IT OUT WITH THE AVITARS! YA KILLIN' ME OVER HERE!9.gif

Anyhow...as for my "writing", I'm not sure I could be called a frustrated comedy writer, but over the years I have written stuff at odd times that not only I found funny, but it had my wife & others asking, "Where in the hell does this stuff come from in that head of yours?" To which I generally reply, "Listen, this is just the stuff I put on paper. If you only knew what went on in my head on a daly basis, it might just scare you." 9.gif

thebes - Yeah I know about the soap thing having an effect on the beer head. However, I forgot to mention that after rinsing the pilsner in 100% pure tap water, I used some Alcon soft contact rinsing & storage solution to disenfect and counteract the Dawn's effect.

LOL...Klipsch tech support. Didn't think about that. LOL...I feel a phone call coming on. Will have to think up some dumass questions to ask tech support. LOL...my mind is racing.

Ray - you know, I heard about that green marker thing. But after I discovered that most of the solar gain in my house occurs during February, I feel very strongly that a yellow highlighter will yeild similiar results. I could be wrong and I believe I'm man enough to admit it if I am, but all the evidence points to me being right. We shall see.

backburner - I'll fess up and say that plain 'ol Budweiser was initially used. However, in a vain attempt to create a "designer knock-off", if you will beer, I let two Bud's sit in the pantry for 3 weeks after their Born-on Dates. My hope was that they would then mimic the taste of Heinekin. (sigh) Alas, it was not to be. Instead it was more like Grolsch (sp?). LMAO...

Anyhow, since then the two pilsners have been pure beer whores. They've had Amber Bock, Corona, Rolling Rock, Red Stripe, and New Castle. One-by-one they took these beers on without any regard. I'm not sure a pilsner glass can have a gang bang, but it sure looked like one to me. 6.gif

Tom