Hmmm, Martin Logan's for me?

kenratboy

We should be carrying their lineup at work, so I would be privy to indulge in their selection.

I know they get great reviews, they need TONS of power, and they sound very open, but not muddy (I think).

Would you get something like these:

http://www.martinlogan.com/aeon_i_speaker.html

If you got a GREAT deal?

General question - are they LOUD? As in, with a good amount of power?

Guest Anonymous

before getting back to horns, I had the Martin Logan Ascents, ML Arius, and Theater 1 center....they were great with HT, Jazz, Classical, Vocals sucked, rock sucked, blues sucked, get my drift. I was running them with the B&K 507 AVR, a GREAT reciever with plenty of power....Cornwalls blow them away IMHO.

ML SUCKS and is too $$$$$, I returned 12K in speakers and bought KLIPSCH9.gif3.gif11.gif

Planar/Ribbon speakers whether electrostatic or magnetic require a lot of power in order to shine. They are unfortunately excessively prone to failures related to the problem of keeping the diaphragms taut over time. They also are not especially suited for bass reproduction unless supplemented by a cone type woofer... (It is technically possible to build a panel that will accurately reproduce the bottom end but the panel required would be too large and too power hungry to be practical).

The above is NOT a knock on planar/ribbon speakers BTW. Planar speakers supported with good amplification and supported at the low end by well chosen woofers can be breathtakingly good.

Planar/ribbon speakers can rarely be equalled for imaging and soundstage if one is willing to produce sufficient $$ up front and is prepared to spend more $$ down the road when the diaphragms start breaking down and require replacement.

----------------

On 9/11/2004 5:42:59 PM smilin wrote:

before getting back to horns, I had the Martin Logan Ascents, ML Arius, and Theater 1 center....they were great with HT, Jazz, Classical, Vocals sucked, rock sucked, blues sucked, get my drift. I was running them with the B&K 507 AVR, a GREAT reciever with plenty of power....Cornwalls blow them away IMHO.

ML SUCKS and is too $$$$$, I returned 12K in speakers and bout KLIPSCH
9.gif3.gif11.gif
----------------

Hmmm, these speakers would be for rock/electronic music and movies. Maybe not the best idea.

Guest Anonymous

When I demoed them at tweeter, he played DSOTM, it sounded GREAT, in a room with the descent sub, fully tricked out for sound, ect ect ect, I dropped 22k that day on the full set-up and was smiling until the day they arrived. HT was wonderful, the THEATER 1 is an amazing center channel....rock made my EARS BLEED, I meen, they actually hurt...I put on sinatra and could not bear it any longer...hellow tweeter, take these things and stick em where the sun don't shine....They are BRIGHT, yes, much brighter than Klipsch...go figure.

I went from14.gif to10.gif with klipsch

Hi,

2 or 3 times a month I check in with our local hifi shop and have heard them a few times on display. If I had the $$ for amplification and the room I would probably give them a try. One time in particular I heard them set up perfectly and I could not hear where the music was coming from no matter how hard I listened, amazing!. Martin Logan owners have their own website/forum and may be of some interest to you. Klipsch on the other hand is quite the all out ear busting loud rock and roll type speaker that allows low or high powered amplification. Try to hear them both ....totally different speaker.

3.gif ..Goodluck

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 9/11/2004 6:47:40 PM Speedball wrote:

Hi,

2 or 3 times a month I check in with our local hifi shop and have heard them a few times on display. If I had the $$ for amplification and the room I would probably give them a try. One time in particular I heard them set up perfectly and I could not hear where the music was coming from no matter how hard I listened, amazing!. Martin Logan owners have their own website/forum and may be of some interest to you. Klipsch on the other hand is quite the all out ear busting loud rock and roll type speaker that allows low or high powered amplification. Try to hear them both ....totally different speaker.

3.gif
..Goodluck

----------------

One time in a properly acoustically treated room does NOT give the REAL sound in your own room, I personnaly made that same mistake WITH the $$$$ and proper amplification. Will the RIGHT room, you can make garbage sound sound6.gif3.gif If you do not listen to rock, maybe you will love ML's but for anyone who wants accurate rock reproduction, fugettaboutit11.gif GET KLIPSCH16.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey, your no kid, get some $$$$ and do it, than tell us your impression2.gif3.gif Funny thing is, I had the top installers for Tweeter at my place at least a dozen times to do work for me, and yaknow what, They all agreed with me.

One installer had Chorus's, 1 had Kef 104.2's, both those guys used B&K. The Top installer, who also worked with speaker/amp design had Bagend system with Krell amps, 4 18" subs/elf sub system ect, ect and was a recording engineer.

All said ML suck, but hey, what do our ears know, they are very popular, and very well advertised, and very well PAID reviewed...but none of the pro's would own them. We all agreed that ML makes Great subwoofers and has the potential fopr great speakers....have a great speedball day, and put your $$$$ where your hands type...I did, now its your turn

----------------

On 9/12/2004 1:26:13 AM dougdrake wrote:

KRB - Don't you work at Best Buy? Maybe I'm recalling it wrong. If so, that seems pretty odd that ML would show up there...
----------------

Magnolia Hi-Fi in the store. Should be open on or before October 8th. We will have lots of good stuff - but we won't know until it literally shows up in the building.

We are giving out hundreds of flyers to remind people to come in when it is done, some brands listed on it are Vienna Acoustics, ML, M&K, Definitive, Primare, REL, etc. Lots of cool toys.

Very, very cool times right now. Denon 3805 (heck, maybe even the 4805!) is shaping up to be reality in the next few months 10.gif