RF-35's & RF-7's??

MPNX2

Well I am just doing some random thinking and as the say once you get the upgrade bug your hooked. Anyway I currently have a pair of RF-35's, and RC-35 for the front stage and I was thinking how would a system sound if I were to my the RF-35's and the RC-35 to the rear for surround sound duty and upgrade the front stage to a pair of RF-7's and an RC-7 center. So the spearkers would be arranged (FR)RF-7, (Center)RC-7, (FL)RF-7, (RR)RF-35, (R. Center)RC-35, (LR)RF-35. I think that would make a pretty decent 6.1 setup. It would all be powered by an HK AVR7200. Any thoughts?

What do you expect to gain out of your upgrade to an all reference seven front? Is your system used primarily for movies or music?

The reason I'm asking is because I previously owned an all Reference three/thirty-five system run by a H/K 7200 (which replaced a 525). I upgraded to Reference seven series and found the H/K 7200 to be great for movies, but ......less than pleasing for music with those speakers. That led me to a long series of upgrades (new SS preamp, two amps, x-over mods, tube preamp, tube CD player)to get to where I currently am.

Don't get me wrong, I am very glad I upgraded to all Reference sevens. The sound I have out of my HT and 2-channel setup is light years from my Reference three/35 setup. However, the RF7s and RC7 are extremely revealing, detailed speakers, that in my opinion, do not sound very good, musically, with receivers: garbage in, garbage out. As a result, you should at least consider that possibility prior to pulling the trigger. The Reference Sevens and Thirty-fives are just far different animals, with the Thirty-fives being more forgiving with what you can run with them.

So, bottom line. If you primarily listen to movies, go for it. If you primarily listen to music (or at least 50% of the time), just go into the upgrade with your eyes open such that you may end up making a number of moves down the road, including replacing the 7200.

On the other hand, I could be wrong. Some like the 7200/Reference Seven matchup for music. However, there have been a few of us that have not.

As for your proposed setup of speakers, sounds great. I would definitely go with RF35s in the rear (as opposed to any dispersion speakers).

Good luck.

Carl.

Thats funny that you guys have mentioned upgradeing my reciever to seperates. I have been recently looking the Aragon line. I think maybe I will upgrade the front stage and go from there. But I am really liking the 2007 and the Stage one processor in black just wish I had a place to listen to them here. Oh its only money......