best receiver for RB-25 series

neomartic

I currently have Ultras hooked up to RB-25s and a RC-25.... In the future I plan on getting the RS-25s, but I was wondering what receiver would be best suited in this setup. I don't need a ton of features, but I would like to have a couple digital optical inputs for an Xbox and a DVD player. I have just begun looking at receivers and was wondering what you all thought of the Denon 1705? Keep in mind this is my "starter" system and I'm not working with a huge budget as it seems, so many of you are.

We did not need the home theatre hookups so I went for more power, 100 watts versus 45 watts. Sure more power makes it sound much much better but if I were to do the reciever thing again Harmon Kardon or Marantz would be my next choice. Denon has a dead quiet background and crystal clear sound but maybe Marantz or Harmon K. would have a richer more mellow sound to it which I personally would like better.

Seperates are my next adventure. More power alone makes a huge difference.

Enjoy the search for satisfaction for there are many many many choices.

Good Luck 3.gif .............Pat

That looks really nice, but why do I need 105 X 7 for my current/near future setup? I don't plan on running 7.1 for a long long time and I'm also currently paying a lot of college expenses. As far as Marantz, what about the SR5400? Wouldn't 90 wpc be enough to power the RB-25s and its compliments?

Also, I'm not sure where I would purchase this from, there is a dealer located about 10 miles from my house, but since cost is a big factor here and I know I can get a deal on a Denon receiver I'd like some more suggestions on those, although Marantaz do look like a feasable option.

Anyone else care to comment?

thanks for your responses and reccomendations!

C'mon - you've got lots of suggestions for good sounding receivers!

Now it's up to you:

Look for those models that meet your requirements (features/power/inputs/design) and listen, preferably with your speakers at home.

BTW: if 6.1 is enough you may get a good deal on older Marantz 5300/7300 models - check them out!

By narrowing down the search using pricing and specs I have come up with these two options. Denon 1804 or Marantz 5400. In your opinion, although I'm still going to be listening first, what do you think is the higher quality receiver? Also, what's the difference between the Denon 1804 and 1805?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I've reviewed this thread and my assesment is, I'm a moron. I should have started looking into receivers a lot better before starting this instead of just asking what I should get. I now know that I want either the Marantz SR5300/5400 (or 6400 if I could find a real good deal).

I found this price for the "open box" 5300. What do you think? Anyone ever buy from this place?

http://www.bestspeakerdeals.com/store/category.cgi?category=bgd_sbb_mar&item=m1sr5300&type=store

• 2 weeks later...

No personal experience!!

Found a recent review of the Marantz 5400 and comparision with the older 5300 in a german audio mag:

"The 5300 disappoints with lousy dynamics and less impressing HT sound. On the other hand the new one brings a more elegant natural sound. Conclusion: Buy 5400, forget about the 5300."

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Eeeeeeeeeee... Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks for the input. I've called a few dealers and I've found a brand new SR5300 for $350, which from what I understand is near cost after shipping to the dealer. On the other hand I can get the SR5400, also brand new, for $435. Any Marantz fans care to comment? Please! I'm going to be buying this today in about 3 hours!

If I were you I'd stick the the least expensive receiver that offers pre-outs, as well as good crossover setting options. If you're like me, you'll want to upgrade to an offboard amp later, and then a dedicated pre/pro eventually, so getting a more expensive receiver (especially one so close in price) probably won't be worth it.