110wpc amp + heresy 1s = not that loud?

KungFuNat

What I made of the manual of the rotel processor :

Different modes have different voltage gains

In stereo mode, to output 1v at the output jacks, it requires 420mv input from source (cd player)

1v output from your processor (rotel) will not produce full output in an amplifier that requires 1.55v for full output.

If 1.55v input gives 115w/8r, then 1v will give 47 watts/8r. No wonder you don't think it is as loud as it should be! 7.gif

32 watts = 15 db, therefore (sensitivity)96db + 15db = 111 db @ 1 m

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

111 db is very loud!

if he says that it is not loud, it means that there is less then than.

so here is a question:are you sure the amp is good?

here is a simple test if you haven t tested your amp yet:

if you have a mp3 player or a walkman or something like that, on wich you can set the volum, hooj up this device directly on the amp.

if it become very loud when turning up the volume you will be sure that the amp is right.

That 111 db at 1m would be developed on peaks, when the cd player has it's highest output. Factor in possible poor connections, seating distance from the speakers, and like I say, you might get peaks of 105 db at the listening position.

If we say that the peak spls were 6 db higher, then an average of 99 db would be a given.

so i plugged the cd player directly into the hafler and ran it. same result as if the volume was at 100%. its just not that damn loud, i actually sat there and listened to a whole song, it wasnt anywhere near the ear-blowing SPLs im used to with my buddies heresy setup. i also tried to hook up my portable MP3 player to the preamp and result was also the same.

im at a loss here guys.

Borrow another reciever or amp,,,i think your amp is broke....when our power was out one winter i hooked a battery powered boom box to my Heresys and they were very loud,,,my sons friends could not believe that good sound was comming out of such a little boom box..lol9.gifRick

----------------

On 9/22/2004 11:34:36 AM NatGun wrote:

so i plugged the cd player directly into the hafler and ran it. same result as if the volume was at 100%. its just not that damn loud, i actually sat there and listened to a whole song, it wasnt anywhere near the ear-blowing SPLs im used to with my buddies heresy setup. i also tried to hook up my portable MP3 player to the preamp and result was also the same.

im at a loss here guys.

----------------

That amp should have ROCKED MIGHTLY; it is therefore not upto snuff. Bummer, dude.

DM2.gif

Just a wild guess here. . .

Does the Halfler have an input voltage switch for mains voltage either 220/110?

If it's set in the 220 position and you run it from a 110 source, you'll be running everything inside the amp at half voltage. Depending on the design of the amp, this could result in no sound at all, really distorted sound or, just maybe, the very low output you're experiencing.

well i took it to the shop yesterday and the guy called me today and left a message on my cell. he said that the amp had been modified and one of the circuit boards was not stock, he had to replace it. good news was that all the rest of the components had been recently updated, so the amp was in pretty good condition once he replaced the funky circuit board. oh well, tomorrow ill go pick it up and rock out when i get home.

ill post an update tomorrow.

"well i took it to the shop yesterday and the guy called me today and left a message on my cell. he said that the amp had been modified and one of the circuit boards was not stock, he had to replace it."

Sounds pretty fishy if you ask me, having THE cicuit board you need on hand? I would ask for the old one back, and if he refuses, do not pay, yell fraud at the top of your lungs. I can see a repair facility having a huge assortment of transitors, resistors and capacitors on hand. Not a circuit board.