Good bang for the buck DVD player ( or how cheap can I go ) ??

Clint Phare

I am in need of a good ( if there is such a thing ) cheap dvd player on the market. I am faced with either a new vhs deck that the 1 yr old and the 3 yr old can destroy or going with a dvd. We would be looking at very limited hours of use- 5 hours a week or less. I read at one time that a brand called Apex was pretty good for a cheap, cheap player. Anyone have any recommendations?

------------------

Just who is Dylan's Jokerman anyways?

Try any dvd player from Toshiba or Sony. I'm going to buy the Toshiba 2700 for 225 including tax and there are even cheaper ones. Find one that fits your price and then go to www.audioreview.com and find the dvd player and read the reviews to see if a lot of people have or have not had trouble with the unit. Also see if you can find some reviews from magazines on the unit. I could probably find the 2700 cheaper online but I prefer to buy it in a store that I can go to. If you find a really great deal on the internet go first to the home website of the manufacture and see who is an authorized internet dealer. Good luck in your search!

I had an Apex and took it back. I ended up with a Panasonic DVDRV 31. The Panasonic plays everything (MP3's, DVD's, VCD's, CDR's etc.)like the Apex but there is no comparison in build quality. Audio and video are far superior. The Panasonic can be had for less than $200.00. A few dollars more than the Apex.

------------------

Home Theater:

Technics SA-1040DX

Klipsch KG 3.5 Fronts

Klipsch SF1 Fronts (on B switch)

Klipsch KSW12 Sub. (2)

Klipsch SC1 Center

Klipsch SF1 Rears

Panasonic RV31 DVD

Vintage Listening Room:

Technics SA-5370

Electro Voice Coronet Speakers

Pioneer Turntable model PL-150-II

Shure M70EJ Cartridge

Technics Cassette Deck model 631

Clint: I also have the panasonic RV31. I only paid $189 for it at Best buy's and it is really good stuff. Has a variety of sound modes and easy to use fast forward knob on the front. Sounds very clean and clear w/ a very nice picture.

Toshiba makes a very good DVD that retail's for $159. I demod the 2700 and it is BASIC but has a very clean picture and good audio.

These two are your best buys as of now for your price range.

Monty

Go to Sears and see what they have in stock.Gte the prices.Go to www.mysimon.com

and do a search of the models and get the lowest price,print it.Sears will honor the price with no problem.

Got my bedroom Panasonic DVD-RV31 about $40 cheaper than the marked sale price.$160 if memory is right.

Don't bother with the cwm24.gifApex,remember you get what you pay for.Sony at Sears was a better mark down at almost $100 off thier price.Not unhappy at all with the Panasonic,it plays CD-Rs,and MP3

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA