Build new stereo system around Old KG4's?

barnett

I'm thinking about replacing my old system and was wondering if I should build my new system around a pair of 20 year old KG-4 model speakers that I have. Audio technology passed me by 20 years ago and I'm just beginning to check things out. I'd like to keep my expenses well under 1,000. Anyone care to share an opinion?

That's where I started, too! I just gave mine away to my niece. Come to think of it, my first positive experience on this Klipsch BB was a response from Mr. Doug Drake!

Certainly, there are a lot of used KG-4's out there. Check them closely, though, for failed components (such as cracked surrounds, etc).

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm thinking of adding the entry level SVS subwoofer and a new Denon or Harman Kardon receiver to my old KG-4's. Would that make sense? I bought my KG-4's about 20 years ago and I like them but with all the technical innovations since then, I wasn't sure if they were obsolete and should be replaced with something more modern or add to them or what. I use them chiefly for listening to 2 channel stereo music. I've been using them with a Denon DRA-755 receiver from the same era. I want to upgrade my overall sound quality in a way that makes economic sense,(I'm a skinflint,) and still have the flexibility to expand into this modern home theater stuff later on. Sometimes I'll play music loud but mostly I just want a more highly detailed, 3 dimensional sound (whatever that means.) I have a fairly small living room in a mobile home. Aside from my modest financial resources, my biggest current problem is I'm going crosseyed reading about this stuff and trying to educate myself about modern home audio. And that brings me back to how very much I appreciate your input. Thanks.

----------------

On 9/28/2004 9:24:21 AM barnett wrote:

Thanks so much for your replies. I'm thinking of adding the entry level SVS subwoofer and a new Denon or Harman Kardon receiver to my old KG-4's. Would that make sense? I bought my KG-4's about 20 years ago and I like them but with all the technical innovations since then, I wasn't sure if they were obsolete and should be replaced with something more modern or add to them or what. I use them chiefly for listening to 2 channel stereo music.

----------------

Here's an idea for you. Find a nice old Harmon Kardon HK430 for about $75 on Ebay. Clean the pots and switches with a few sprays of Radio Shack contact cleaner. It is an insanely musical amp.

I bought a pair of KG4's and the HK430 for my daughter. Unbelievable sound. Why spend a lot of money when a really nice setup can be had on the cheap.

Not sure why you need the SVS for the KG4's. Keep them about 12-18" from the wall, toed in slightly. Put them on sturdy stands to get them up off the floor if you can. The HK430 will really show off the bass. However, go for the sub if you really want to. It should sound awesome.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

----------------

On 9/28/2004 9:24:21 AM barnett wrote:

Thanks so much for your replies. I bought my KG-4's about 20 years ago and I like them but with all the technical innovations since then, I wasn't sure if they were obsolete and should be replaced with something more modern...

----------------

The KG series are still good speakers. If being obsolete is the only reason you're thinking of replacing the KG-4's, well don't worry. Many modern speakers from other manufacturers won't even come close. Of course if you genuinely feel the need to upgrade, you can always consider some tasty Heritage!

Thanks folks. So glad to hear the consenus on the KG-4's. I wound up buying a Denon AVR 2105. I've got to pick up a couple video cables and I can finish setting it up. The SVS sub might have to wait until tax refund time. BTW, the SVS folks said the receiver will make an even more audible difference for me than the sub. I can see why everybody raves about the quality of customer service at SVS. I've gotten alot of great advice from you folks too. I especially liked Chris' idea about picking up the older Harman Kardon. That made good financial sense for someone with my limited financial resources. Initially, I was a little apprehensive about posting here. I thought maybe you guys with sophisticated systems wouldn't want to trouble yourselves with questions from a relatively low fi guy like me. Instead, I've found people here to be very generous with their advice. Thanks to all.

If the kg4's are anything like my 4.2's there is a huge difference that can be made with them. I went to a home remodel store and bought 2-12"x12" concrete pads of concrete and set the speakers underneath and used the supplied spikes with the speakers. All the boominess disappeared and the sound is just better. Cheap fix for a couple of bucks.

1.gif