PC-Ultra vs. PB2-Plus

I have not heard either...

But can comment on the two + woofers having more "excursion"... they don't have more excursion. The Ultra woofer has more excursion woofer-to-woofer. The dual + woofers probably move more air than the single Ultra woofer, though, which requires each of them to move less to achieve the same output levels at a given frequency. Now, this may or may not be true, depending on how each woofer is built...

I have done a lot of sub modeling lately to design my new sub. I tried dual drivers, PR boxes, vented, sealed, even a couple of bandpass. What it came down to was a woofer I found that could move 26mm one way with a maximum one way excursion of 38mm. This is nearly 3" peak-to-peak. It could handle 1000WRMS, and had a fairly high sensitivity (for a sub) of 91dB 1W/m. This being said, when I modeled it in a vented enclosure, it does NOT exceed XMAX at ANY frequency all the way down to 10Hz, running full power, and even running 1500W+. The dual woofer designs I tried also did quite well on excursion (they moved less than a single woofer would), but almost all (if not all) others exceeded xmax at some point.

So... the dual + series could move more air, possibly... making them louder and capable of playing lower, louder... or maybe the Ultra woofer is just that evil that it can best the two + woofers. 11.gif1.gif

ear, Im gonna trade up my pb1-isd for the pc-ultra. I called svs today and decided on that sub. The isd was loud enough for my room, i just wanted more punch for music and portability. However, the isd was simply awesome for movies, that thing just did not stop digging, I think it would best even a rws-12 at sub 20hrz. But the pb1 really cant be moved much less the pb2. I'm not sure if you have seen a svs box sub in real life, but i can tell you this, they are BIGGER then you even think. I was expected huge and I got HUGE TIMES FIVE! The finish on the boxes is really nice, durable and sexy. The ultra driver really intrigues me, and the pc can just sit in a corner by itself not dominate 1/2 my small little tiny room! Plus I can take it to parties at my girls apt. at UCSB and brag about it. So its cylinder time for me, even though I like boxes better and had no real complaints about the isd. Time to upgrade, its decease!

I have had the following configs

1 PC+

2 PC+s

1 PB2+

2 PB2+s

2 PC Ultras

though the dual PB2+s had a more thunderous ability the Ultras are noticable different with a unique sound compared to the + versions.

The difference is subtle but noticable, especialy in the string instruments. If I was to by another SVS I definitely would pay the wxtra cash for the ultra driver.

Upgrades are a killer. SVS is taking pre-orders for the PB2 Ultra, in the PB2+ black finish. I ordered my PB2+ before they were offering the Ultra version. Well, now I will finally have my second sub, and first taste of the Ultra drivers.

Any reviews of the PB2 Ultra from Klipsch owners? I did a search, but didn't find any.