Getting a TT

FreeRadical

Hello everyone,

I've been offered a great deal on a new Music Hall MMF5 turntable from a local specialty retailer. I was wondering if anyone in here has this model? All of the reviews say that it can't be beat in it's price range. I think it will fit in well with the new receiver that I'm getting (Pioneer Elite VSX 56TXi) but it doesn't have a phono stage. Any recommendations on which phono stage would match up good with this combo? Is there anything decent at Circuit City or Best Buy that would work? The dealer that has it doesn't have preamps. He said he got a preamp from Circuit City that works fine for him.

Thanks

FR

best buy or circuit city have nothing at all, do not make the mistake of buying 1 of those tiny preamps they sell unless you just want to know if your tt works, they are absolute crap!!! unfortunatly, the only alternatives are a few hundrend dollars, you have a fairly decent tt, and you would only do it and yourself an injustice if you dont at least try to match the tt with a comprable pre, one more option is to locate an older receiver with phono stage on ebay, and than you just tie it in as your preamp12.gif

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?preaphon&1&ctg&st1

Here's a place to keep your eye on for a decent deal on a used phono stage. There's a Clear Audio trade in on the list for $199 that might fit the bill.

In any case, don't purchase a great TT like the Music Hall, only to have the phono stage be the weak link. You'll never be able to appreciate what the TT is truly capable of.

Another option might be to find a reasonably priced vintage preamp that has a phono stage built in, and use that. Run the TT into the phono inputs of the preamp, and then the output of the preamp into one of the analog inputs on your Pioneer.

I'm not advocating that you purchase this particlar unit, but its a good example of what I'm talking about:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14974&item=5722835856&rd=1

----------------

On 10/1/2004 7:28:22 AM whell wrote:

In any case, don't purchase a great TT like the Music Hall, only to have the phono stage be the weak link. You'll never be able to appreciate what the TT is truly capable of.

----------------

Even with a good Phono Stage, the performance will be less that optimal due to the use of an A/V Receiver as preamp and power source.

I say go with a seperate source...A less costly option would be an intergrated amp with phono or older receiver. Best option is to go with a complete separate 2 channel system for the TT.

Sorry, but I just don't feel that receiver will do the guality TT and a good phono stage justice.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 9:21:15 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

----------------

On 10/1/2004 7:28:22 AM whell wrote:

----------------

Even with a good Phono Stage, the performance will be less that optimal due to the use of an A/V Receiver as preamp and power source.

I say go with a seperate source...A less costly option would be an intergrated amp with phono or older receiver. Best option is to go with a complete separate 2 channel system for the TT.

Sorry, but I just don't feel that receiver will do the guality TT and a good phono stage justice.

----------------

While I don't disagree you about an A/V receiver being the last word in resolution, I'm not sure that my first suggestion for a vinyl newbie would be to go out an by a new system just to listen to vinyl. Vinyl is an acquired taste for many, and some get into the hobby and find out that they can't stand cleaning, flipping the record, storage requirements, etc.

I suggest anyone getting into vinyl do so slowly, so they're able to scale up if they decide they like it.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 10:49:22 AM whell wrote:

I suggest anyone getting into vinyl do so slowly, so they're able to scale up if they decide they like it.

----------------

My comments considered a commitment to vinyl had been made, since a very nice TT had been bought and no words were stated regarding evaluating it as a possible source.

No matter, I still feel that ones needs to evaluate any potential medium with reasonable components, regardless of whether they are used are new. It's the only way to give that media a level playing field in comparison to others. Used has always proven the better route for me, but to each his own. If one buys good components wisely; they can usually be sold with little or no loss.

If one buys good components wisely; they can usually be sold with little or no loss.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Patience is the key element coupled with extensive research

Agreed

====================

My probelm with my 2 early HT receivers is that they both converted Analog to digital on all analog inputs. Very poor sounding would be an understaement.

My Sherwood Newcaslte HT preamp has all anlog pass through. I have never tried the phono input just was not my concept for that room of the house.