Should I upgrade my DVD Player

SCOOTERDOG

Hey guy's,

Just wondering if I should consider upgrading my DVD player. First off my Techniques DVD A10 Is an exceptional unit and built like a tank. The only thing it does not have is progressive scan. Aside from not having this it not only produces an excelent picture the sound quality from DVD Audio discs are just out of this world.

Not sure you if guy's know much about this unit so I have added some info on the player below:

DVD-A10 incorporates a system called Advanced Virtual Battery Operation. Using a capacitor to supply its charged power to the audio reproduction circuitry, the technique simulates a battery (pure source of DC current) to virtually eliminate power supply "noise" for faithful reproduction of even the smallest signal information. Additionally, dual R-Core transformers are used, one for analog and one for digital, both are of rounded shape to help minimize leakage flux and noise, replaces the conventional transformers with their squared-off corners and uneven flux patterns. And TA-KE II electrolytic capacitors are used throughout for better mid-high frequency response with lower distortion. Even the cabinetry is impressive: a sleek champagne gold component with a special vibration damping base. Digital-To-Analog Converter (DAC), based on MASH* technology and refined by Matsu****a for 192kHz/24-bit DVD-Audio use, gives these players the ability to distinguish levels of sound using 24-bit quantization (vs. 16-bit maximum for CD). This reduces background noise to imperceptible levels. The new DAC is also combined with a DIGITAL RE-MASTER PROCESSING circuit, which uses audio dithering techniques to increase the frequency response and dynamic range of conventional CDs as well.

This unit was used by many respected magazines for testing other equipment as the source machine. Like I said I am very happy with it and feel I would have to spend in the $1000.00 range to get something new that would compete with it. Also don't know if I would hear any diffrence from DVD Audio discs with a new player. I do understand I may see a little better picture but like I said the video reproduction is excellent.

Any feedback or suggestions are welcomed.

scooter

I have looked at the Denon at it is very nice. Just thinking that 1600 bucks would buy my new projector I want. If I could afford both then I would certainly look much harder at the Denon. As far as the others I have no interest in them. My basic question was hinting at reaffirming in my mind that my Techniques is still a great unit and that in order to improve upon it I would have to spend around 1k. The build quality is very important and that is from the chassis up. When I bought my unit 3 years ago it was one of the best, and used extensively as the reference machine to test other components. Yeah I don't have progressive scan on it but other then that the component quality is top notch let alone the 20 or so pounds this thing is.

Most of the machines now just don't Feel good in construction. The drawers are not as smooth and tight as mine. Anyway just asking for thoughts.

Your DVD-A10 is still a nice player, SCOOTERDOG. I don't think an upgrade at this point in time will reap the benefits you may be hoping for. Even if you spend a lot more money. Progressive scan would be nice, but I'm getting an okay picture without it, so I don't think it's really crucial for you at this point. I'm not saying an upgrade isn't on the cards - just not yet. I'd advise you to sit out this format war a little longer, and wait for some new developments that are on the horizon. After Christmas is when you could start seriously looking, so you can savour and cultivate this upgrade bug a little longer....

Also in relation to your projector. I currently operate an NEC VT540 in my 2 channel home theatre setup. The NEC is switchable between 4:3 and 16:9. Now I have a 100" 16:9 wide screen and I operate the projector in 16:9 permanently. The only draw back is even in 16:9, I get the 4:3 overshoot. So to remedy this I have placed black curtains above and below the screen. The result is a perfect widescreen picture with no overshoot apparent, even in a completely darkened room. The reason I haven't upgraded the projector yet, is that the native 16:9 models in my price range haven't impressed me with their resolution. So in the new year I'll check out the new 16:9 DLP models - the prices will be more reasonable by then as well.

Ed,

Thanks for helping me reaffirm my thinking. The projector I am looking at is the Infocus SP4805. I have read nothing but good reviews on this puppy. It is native 16/9 and also incorporates the new TI DLP Dark Chip II. The Shope at home network has this with a 106" draper screen for 1500. I am close to talking my wife into it11.gif

Oops, I didn't read the subtext. My english professor would kill me. Scooterdog, your player is still dope. I've seen it in action once, 2 years ago on a showroom floor I believe, and I was pretty awe-struck. And all the players I previously listed go for well over $1000, and that may already be reaching the point of diminishing returns...

Hold onto you Techniques player.

Nicholtl has mentioned some good alternative players if you are interested in going progressive but on the other hand if your A-10 is still in good shape it remains one of the most outstanding players ever made.

Unfortunately the manufacturers arent putting out players of the quality of the Technics. Theres just not enough profit in it for them. Its become a throw-away world. Arent you tired of hearing old farts saying, They just dont make things like they used to?

Well, Scooter, your A-10 is a prime example of what the farts are talking about.

Oh, Man! Who Farted?! 9.gif

Scooter: The DLPs are great and we love ours, but you must be able to control the ambient light in your room, otherwise the picture quality will suffer which means a DLP may not be for you. I you can indeed control the light in your room, then go for it! Also, keep in mind that bulb life tends to be issue in some projectors and the bulbs are very expensive to replace.

If you're happy with the sound, and are strictly looking to upgrade the picture, keep your Techniques and get an outboard line quadrupler. Even an inexpensive unit like the Nextvision 6 (MSRP $700, streets for signifcantly less) will expand all source inputs to 1280x1024 component video out.

----------------

On 10/1/2004 12:45:06 PM Griffinator wrote:

If you're happy with the sound, and are strictly looking to upgrade the picture, keep your Techniques and get an outboard line quadrupler. Even an inexpensive unit like the Nextvision 6 (MSRP $700, streets for signifcantly less) will expand all source inputs to 1280x1024 component video out.

----------------

You pretty much beat me to what I was about to say.

If he was happy with his DVD player, beside that it doesn't do progressive scan, he should consider an outboard de-interlacer or line doubler, if available.

Sound like there are decent units for relatively decent prices taht are available.