KEF 207 speakers

whitewolf

hello,

help me out. i am getting the KEF 207 and 205 . the 207 are the flagship speakers for 6000$ for a pair. I heard they are good. tell me should i go for them . are they good. my room is 27 X 14 and i wanted them for home theater.

would appreciate if someone sheds some light on the kef 207

I looked at the same setup extensively about a year ago and ended up not buying the KEF.

A little more info, what else have you auditioned, what makes you want the KEF, what components are you looking at to go with them, %of use music/movies? Some more info would really help others give you their input. Cheers!

What do your ears tell you? Since you have already committed to them and seeing as this is a KLIPSCH Forum what kind of response are you expecting here? For that price I would buy 5 RF-7's and still have change left.

For anyone who may be interested here is a link to the KEF 207's info:

http://www.kef.com/products/reference/refmodel_207.html

I would suggest that you listen to a pair of RF-7's and let your own ears tell you if $6K for the 207's is worth it. I would buy brand new Khorns at that price point if I was planning a two channel rig.

Welcome to the KLIPSCH forum by the way I see that KEF has no forum.

Those look like KEF is trying to look like B&W!

I have KEF model 4's (no longer made) which were good for smaller environs and tubes, but they didn't cut it when I moved into my house, i.e., a larger listening space, so I went with full-sized horns instead.

I find the comparison to be a no-brainer, the horns are bigger sounding, far more efficient, transients are startling, and much more clean and crisp with a large soundstage.

The KEFs tend to make everything small or compress everything, that is, the soundstage was as big as the distance between them, and the corner horns tend to make everything "lifesize". That's the dif in a nutshell.

Good luck. The size of the listening area is paramount!

DM

I just had another thought!

I think that the British tend to make their speakers for smaller rooms, being that the main population lives in "flats" or apartments.

American listening areas tend to be quite a bit larger, so perhaps, British speakers don't "fill it" as well as some American/Canadian speakers would.

Just a thought...

DM2.gif

Thanks Arthurs and Frzninvt

and dman but i need more in depth views. I know this is a Klipsch forum but i need help unbiased. thanks.

ok as arthurs u said u need more info so i have not heard them and wont get a chance here in Pakistan. i will just get them and i can only come here for help or read reviews. so help me out.

Yes i am getting them for 6000$ a pair and i dont know how because on the net they are for 11000 or 15000.

My main concern is to watch movies on it. later i will expand it to a 5.1 . but for now a 2.1 /. i will get a amp denon. dont know which one. so how are they Kef. as far as i have heard they told me nothing comes closer to these and these are mindblowing very natural. u guys tell me ?

and he also can arrange Definitive 7000 flagship and Horns. so is the KEF a winner compared to these.

you're buying those strictly for home theater? no music? hmmmm.............

i'm a kef owner, but not the reference series. kefs are distinctly different from klipschs, that's for sure. why, exactly, are you so dead-set on the kefs? not that they aren't fine speakers, but how did you come to those for a ht-only system? have you heard them? what other speakers have you listened to?

Thanks Arthurs and Frzninvt

and dman but i need more in depth views. I know this is a Klipsch forum but i need help unbiased. thanks.

ok as arthurs u said u need more info so i have not heard them and wont get a chance here in Pakistan. i will just get them and i can only come here for help or read reviews. so help me out.

Yes i am getting them for 6000$ a pair and i dont know how because on the net they are for 11000 or 15000.

My main concern is to watch movies on it. later i will expand it to a 5.1 . but for now a 2.1 /. i will get a amp denon. dont know which one. so how are they Kef. as far as i have heard they told me nothing comes closer to these and these are mindblowing very natural. u guys tell me ?

and he also can arrange Definitive 7000 flagship and Horns. so is the KEF a winner compared to these? and is has also the RF 7 . and he is giving them for 2000$ but i can go for the KEF if they are so extra ordinary

----------------

On 10/8/2004 3:59:53 AM whitewolf wrote:

----------------

i n my opinion it s better to listen before bying, and if it s possible, the best is to hear at the place they will be, for example in your living room.

so before spending 6000$, you should really listen to them.

even if some people said that thoses KEF sound very good, it s their opinion, and you may not love the way they sound.

because all people don t like the same thing.

----------------

On 10/8/2004 3:59:53 AM whitewolf wrote:

You said:

i have not heard them and wont get a chance here in Pakistan. i will just get them and i can only come here for help or read reviews. so help me out.

My reply:

I think that is always a mistake.

You said:

My reply:

This would concern me.

My reply:

They did not blow my mind, but that's me, they are solid good speakers, but only your ears can tell you what they do for you...

You said:

and he also can arrange Definitive 7000 flagship and Horns. so is the KEF a winner compared to these? and is has also the RF 7 . and he is giving them for 2000$ but i can go for the KEF if they are so extra ordinary

My reply:

Buying blind, I would seriously consider the RF-7's, not because this is a Klipsch board, they are just a damn fine speaker for the $$, better value to $$ than the KEF IMO...

----------------

Thanks a lot ARTHURS.

that was the correct way and that helped a lot. One last question the KEF are better than the rf-7 for sure. keeping aside the price ratio thingy. but Compare them for me with the Klipshorn because i can also get them if they are better and i cant listen to them . no chance to help me out there. and i need for movies.

I wouldn't say the KEF are better, I would say they are all different kinds of speakers and it kind of comes down to what you want to accomplish. You said majority for movies... my thought would be that either the RF-7's or the KHorns would give you better dynamics and impact than the KEF. I fyou're talking critical 2-channel music listening, still going KHorns over the KEF, but the KEF would be excellent for that as well. That's my two cents, I can't tell you what speakers to buy....

I was at soundtrack a while ago and posted some of this reply on another thread. It's nothing proffessional, no graph, no measuring equipment, just what my ears tell me.....which I think is probably the most important factor to buying speakers.

They had a RF-7/RC-7/RS-7/RSW-15/Elite VSX-49TX HT set up right next to a KEF reference HT powered by some Krell seperates ( whatever the "TOP" flagship kefs are). The salesman did an AB comparison between the two rigs but I only noticed a slight difference. The Kefs had a hypertweeter of some sort, the 7s had the almighty horn....gotta love it. The RF-7 were listed as 999.00 each and the KEF Front L/R were listed as 3999.00 each. Definately not worth the difference in price IMO. The Kefs slightly excelled in 2 channel over the klipsch, but they were being powered by seperate showcase Krell gear vs. an Elite reciever on the 7s. I thought the 7s excelled in HT over the Kefs, but that too was "Slight". I depends on what sound you prefer, they are two different sounding speakers. I have to admit, the Kefs were smooth.......But the 7s were so lively, so much authority. If they were both the same price, I'd probably take the Kefs...........then sell them and get 7s all the way around. I'm just not willing to pay that much for a pair of speakers. The Kef sub (1,899.00) didn't sound like it had the authority of the RSW-15 either. The Kefs were just a bit to polite IMO.

There is a maket for every price range and every speaker, but it depends on what "YOU" want. Thats the excitment that adds to the hobby.....you get to decide to make a purchase on something you feel is an awesome product. I understand the Bind you're in with not being able to audition, and I do not know your finances...... but If you are willing to finance an expensive pair of speakers, and make the commitment to finish a matching 5.1 rig, could you set up an audition? I know it may sound far fetched, but maybe you could find a place that offers klipsch anf Kef, jump on a plane, bring your favorite DVD/CD, and have an amazing speaker auditioning vacation. Thats kind of what I did when I got back to the states after spending 7 yrs over seas. I was always honest and strait up with the salesman/owner, let him know where I was, all the gear I've read about but never had the oportunity to demo/purchase, and had a great time. If they price matched I bought from them, if not, most dealers shared my same audio interests and we just listened for hours. Most dealers are in this business because they like Audio, and would be more than happy to share the experience not only with a customer but someone interested in the same hobby...someone who cares about their listening experience as much them.

Anyway, I feel that Klipsch gives it's customers better price vs. Performance for their products than a good number of other Brick and morter companies (with the exeption of a few speakers). Well, just wanted to let everyone know my support for Klipsch......Keep it coming9.gif

Whitewolf, the Kefs are really fine speakers they sounds very much like B&W and Linn etc... and for the price that you are getting them they do seem like a bargain because here in Australia they are about $18000 a pair. The retailer where i bought my RF 7 carry them too, for music I think they sounded better than the RF 7s, a bit more refined, then again they were using Halcro amps and some other expensive stuffs that cost around $50000 all together. The klipsch where only displayed with Denon and Rotel stuffs and i prefered them for Movies. I was not even thinking about listening to the KEF's because they are out of my league. I heard them when other people asked for a listen. And remember if you decide to buy them and want to use them for HT you will need the dedicated center 204 c or the 202 c with also cost a fortune and good amp and receiver/ dvd'/?s playas etc..