7 Channel vrs 5 Cheannel to Hook up a pair of Heresy's

cob1708

Here is what I want to do...I have a pair of Heresys that I want to use the center channel speaker. I was told I could either connect them in parallel or series ...If I purchased a 7 channel amp I thought I could use the 6th channel for the extra center speaker???

Gotcha...

Then to use my pair of Heresy speakers together as the front speaker in my HT I need to connect them in either parallel or series...Buying a 7 channel verses a 5 channel would not be advatages???

Well I thought I had a good idea? Oh well...

Thanks for straightening me out..

cob - You're not clear on whether you are referring to a 7-channel amp or a 7-channel receiver. A 7-channel amp simply amplifies whatever signal you feed it. Thus, if you feed 2 of the channels the output from your pre-amp's center channel by splitting the signal you'll get 2 amplified connections for the center channel - one connection for each speaker.

If you are referring to a 7-channel receiver, then the comments by others above apply.

I was kinda thinking that myself, Doug. He did say 7 channel amp in the initial post.

If you use a 5 or 6 channel preamp, the only problem I'd see with splitting the center signal is that you'd have attenuate the hell out of the center output from the pre, or you'd blow the rest of your system away with two centers driving full bore...

Ok guys here are my set up and what Im trying to to

The Rear Surrounds=Cornwalls

The Mains=Khorns

The Centers=I pair of Heresys

Sub=not purchased

Audio= Mcintosh C39, MAC3, MR7082 6 channel and thx upgrades

Amp=need to purchase.

From your replies I need to connect the Heresys in either parallel or series if I want to use them both for a center speaker.

I also want to connect a pair of outside deck speakers so I can either a) be playing music outside on the deck, B) be playing the HT system in the game room, or c) be playing just music in the game room.

The question I was asking was if I got a 7 channel amp I could play both the inside and out side systemsIs my thinking correct?

Am I on the right track? One of these days I will figure this stuff out and when I do it's going to be a winner!!

Thanks for your patience guys 1.gif

----------------

On 10/9/2004 3:14:50 PM cob1708 wrote:

Ok guys here are my set up and what I’m trying to to…

The Rear Surrounds=Cornwalls

The Mains=Khorns

The Centers=I pair of Heresy’s

Sub=not purchased

Audio= Mcintosh C39, MAC3, MR7082 6 channel and thx upgrades

Amp=need to purchase.

From your replies I need to connect the Heresy’s in either parallel or series if I want to use them both for a center speaker.

I also want to connect a pair of outside deck speakers so I can either a) be playing music outside on the deck,
B)
be playing the HT system in the game room, or c) be playing just music in the game room.

The question I was asking was if I got a 7 channel amp I could play both the inside and out side systems…Is my thinking correct?

Am I on the right track? One of these days I will figure this stuff out and when I do it's going to be a winner!!

Thanks for your patience guys
1.gif

----------------

The short answer would be no, this wouldn't work. Why? You'd have to have both the game room and deck speakers on any time you wanted to listen to them.

You need a 2-zone capable preamplifier to pull this one off, and you'd preferably want a separate stereo amplifier to power the outside speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

----------------

On 10/8/2004 6:47:23 PM dougdrake wrote:

Sure, just split the signal with a y-adapter as it comes out of your pre-amp.

----------------

The above is correct, but other replies got sidetracked.

From what I understand you want to use a pair of Heresy's as a single center to attempt to match the output of frint KHorns. You already have pre/pro + amp Halo gear, so as dougdrake said, you can use a Y-splitter and feed the center pre-out to two channels of your amp and feed the Heresy pair (instead of putting them in series or parallel).

The problem with using a pair of speakers as center is that you get two closely spaced point sources instead of one, and listeners who are seated off-center will experience interference between the two. Will it sound muddy or not be noticeable? I don't know, but you have all the gear to try it. So try it and report back! :-)

If it doesn't work, and you need to use a single Heresy, we may not want to split a pair since I want a black one. There is that guy from SF with a pair of black La Scala's for sale but that's far away from me and I'm not sure they would fit.

The "Y" adapter response is correct, and NO the center will NOT need to be attentuated. I have two center channels fed to seperate amps "Y'd" out from my preamp and it works marvelously! The answer is "YES" it will work! I cannot differentiate that there are two centers from any spot in the room. In addition, my centers receive 4 times the power as the rest of the speakers. It's all about the headroom baby, and the fact that they are the MOST important speakers in a HT. I have decisive proof it WILL work!

Thanks for the update...

I will have to play around with my Heresy's but if the Y will work I will use both my speakers for the Center Channel.

My initial concern was the Khorns would overpower the Heresy's but with the Halo system I thought I would be able to adjust all speakers so they would all blend together.11.gif

Thanks for the update...

First of all...I have a 5 channel system...

I will have to play around with my Heresy's but if the Y will work I will use both my speakers for the Center Channel.

My initial concern was the Khorns would overpower the Heresy's but with the Halo system I thought I would be able to adjust all speakers so they would all blend together.11.gif