got rp-5 for 289 each at ubid.com

rkreddy

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

----------------

On 12/29/2001 12:12:00 PM Colin wrote:

do a search on Yamaha on this forum and you will find that it is not the first choice of many when compared to Denon, for whatever reason, but you should always listen to it first and see what you like ...

------------------

Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

----------------

Even though I own a great yamaha amp i have to agree as it relates to quality per dollar spent. Dennon still seems to have that elite (no pioneer pun intented) sound and isnt just another mass producer like pioneer and sony. Id say in the last 5years or so yamaha is slipping ever closer into the pioneer sony area. I still believe their top of the line equipment is on par with the denon but unless you are willing to pay 3000 i would go with the Denon. Hurts me to say as i have had some sort of yamaha amplification for almost 20 years in my systems, but its the truth.

Too much bass gain on the low end of the RP's will give you a 'muddy' sound. If you could adjust them as 'flat' as possible and run cable from your receiver sub out to LFE input on speakers setting receiver's bass management to 'LFE only' you will get very good sound.

Keith