RSW-15 and RSW-12 / SVS subwoofer equivalents?

tunemanjjw

Okay, so if there's one thing that seems agreed upon in this forum, it's that klipsch rsw and svs in general rock. i'm working with rf-7 system5-channel system (minus the subwoofer). I've been dabbling for some time with the idea of entertaining myself with a subwoofer purchase (or two)...but I don't like to be disappointed. I honestly prefer dual sub (on the front for phasing purposes), but I could handle a single sub if encouraged.

What are some "equivalent" models as far as sound quality and output go? Basically, how far up do I have to go on the SVS line to get RSW-12/15 performance? I'm MOST interested in personal experiences since you can read all the specs you want but nothing compares to an eartest. All the same, recommendations are welcome. And, as an added note, Music first...Movies...third...I don't care so much about movie performance....it seems that if it accels at music, it's fine with movies.

You dont have to go up the SVS far at all to match the RSW-12 or 15 in the depth department. I think even a PB12-ISD can waste an RWS-12 at 20hrz, perhaps even rival15, but certainly any SVS plus driver can. However, the RWS-12 and 15 are tuned higher and have more watts which give them a tremendous amount of slam above 30hrz, especially around 50 or 60hrz. But they are not as linear as SVS. If you want to retain the slam that the RWSs can do and have the depth that the SVS can you, you probably need to go with the dual Plus or Ultra drivers. And since you have RF-7s I would probably go with the SVS flagship drivers, namely the ultra. To be honest, I dont even think a single RSW-15 can run with a pair of 7's in the deepest octaves of the sound spectrum. Duel RWS-15's would be really nice, especially for music, but if you really want the deepest and most linear bass you can find, you have to go with SVS. Just one of SVSs midclass models can best anything Klipsch can throw at you in the 20hrz and below category.

I would recommend dual CS-Ultra's and a Samson 1000 Watt Amp. You can get that combo right off the svs site for about 2 grand. You can also get the PB12-ultra/2 for that same price, which would perform very similar. I think the someone did a test of the twin cylinder ultras at hit over 130dB as a peak! The pb12-ultra/2 is as you know - a single sub and very very very heavy -200lbs and its BIG. The pb is such fine subwoofer that even being a single sub, it will still not reveal itself in any sort of direction especially because you will have the crossover around 60 or 50 paired with your RF-7's. But, the twin cs's will take up a lot less space and are a LOT easier to move around -I think they are only 50 or 60lbs. If 2k is too much to spend, many people claim the PB12-Plus/2 is the operative bang-4-buck subwoofer of the century. Most would agree is outclasses the RWS-15 across the board, but the Ultra drivers will give you an edge and assurance that you will never need to upgrade ever again.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 2:40:40 AM 007 wrote:

You don’t have to go up the SVS far at all to match the RSW-12 or 15 in the depth department. I think even a PB12-ISD can waste an RWS-12 at 20hrz, perhaps even rival15, but certainly any SVS plus driver can. However, the RWS-12 and 15 are tuned higher and have more watts which give them a tremendous amount of slam above 30hrz, especially around 50 or 60hrz. But they are not as linear as SVS. If you want to retain the slam that the RWS’s can do and have the depth that the SVS can you, you probably need to go with the dual Plus or Ultra drivers.

----------------

Hang on a second, I need to make a correction. You will never get the slam of an RSW out of any number of SVS subs. The fact that the RSWs are slightly nonlinear is what gives that percieved "punch you in the chest" slam. Adding more SVSs will simply increase output and do nothing to change frequency response.

So you'll get different response characteristics....

...anyone care to offer which response curve actually works out better in-room? I definitely only have complete holes in the system at 30 Hz and under. Please don't simply site that the RSW-15 will clearly match my 7 system (RC/F/S-7) as I'm sure I can rock nike socks with my adidas.

I'm still looking for personal experience above all, but all the same, all suggestions still welcome.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 3:31:34 PM rich0372 wrote:

If ypur looking for a sub that has good bass at low freq look at the true sunfire I have klf 30s up front and the sunfire matches well with them also becuase of its size you can put it anywhere and has a high WAF Rich

----------------

Yes sir,I have three SUnfire subs and can tell all the peeps here that they hand with SVS with little trouble.The 13" cubed Signature is at home in a lerger room in a HT and music system.Down low it can supply the foundation and if called upon shake the foundation.

Size for size Sunfire has anyone including Velodyne beat(and I have an SPL1000 too)

In the end it all depends on personal taste,an RSW15 will have slam galore and a comparable (size and price)SVS will dig deeper and play louder down deep.To each person its sub,its a matter of taste.

----------------

On 10/11/2004 8:20:21 PM HatTrick66 wrote:

What's someone to do who wants both? The slam and the super low end sound? I too am trying to decide which sub I want. I naturally thought Klipsch until I did some research on the forum.

Sounds like we all need one of each!
2.gif

----------------

Buy a Revel B15 3.gif