Friday Night Lights

Tom Adams

The wife & I saw the movie this past weekend and we really enjoyed it. Neither of us have read the book the movie is based on, but I hear that the movie was pretty close to the book. This is one of the few movies that compels me to read the book.

The on-field football action was very good, intense and imparted a very real sense of what its like to be hit (or hit if you were a defensive player in high school).

I personally didnt like the cinematography (I guess thats what the term for the way the movie was shot). It was too herky-jerky for me, but I guess it was done that way to portray a home-movie like feeling. Whatever the reason, Im not a big fan of that artsie-fartsie stuff. We got all manners of super-duper camera technology. I say USE IT!

Ol Tim McGraw did a decent job acting for his first time out, but his massively hairy chest grossed the wife out. She doesnt mind some hair on a mans chest but she said that wearing a fur coat is a bit much! His role as an abusive, alcoholic Dad was pretty convincing. Hmmmm..

Cant remember the actors name that played the quarterback, but hes the same one that played the small boy that befriended Carl in Sling Blade. Obviously he looked different, but the minute he opened his mouth, you knew it was him. He too did a good job with his character.

Bill Bob Thornton was solid and conveyed a good portrayal of what life as a coach whos expected to win, win, win is all about. Its funny when you have just one loss and you come home to see 8 different agents For Sale signs in your yard.

Overall Id give the movie a B+. Id give it an A if the damn thing had been shot with a better camera. But what the hell do I know? 10.gif

Tom

• 6 months later...

I watched this other night....

Used dvd

I really enjoyed it...

Made me remember HS football when I was in HS....

Really depicted Texas big HS football well...

Definitely worth a watch....

Special features are very well done...and bring the real life people to the camera and a chance to hear their side of story

I agree this was a solid "B" movie. The cinematography didn't bother me. I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was because of the genre. The surround sound was superb and the hits made the RSW's thump. I bought it used also--a heck of a deal for $9.99.

I don't buy new movies anymore. The wife and I watched "The Incredibles" last night--Definitely worth the $9.99 once again.2.gif

• 3 weeks later...