RF-7 Power Amps

klipschmnfan

Hello,

In the process of purchasing an the RF-7 suite and would like to have some opinions on the differences in "sound quality" that I would hear in using a 150 watt amp, a 300 watt amp, or a 600 watt amp. I'm leaning towards seperates including Bryston as my #1 choice.

I know that the Klipsch are very efficient, but they also like their power.

Thanks in advance!

150 watts/channel is overkill and 300-600 watts/channel is a waste of money.

The RF7 is rated at 102db,1watt/1 meter. At 128 watts in a single RF7 is quite capable of permanently damaging your hearing.

As to the question of sound quality...Raw power is not in itself a guarantee of quality performance. Room acoustics,source components and source materials are more important determinants than sheer welding capability.

I'm looking at the Bryston PowerPac 300s or their 7BSST (600 watts per channel) or the 4BSST (300 WPC). For my preamp I'm looking at the Bryston SP 1.7.

From what I've read on the forum, the RF-7s love current and I know that the PowerPac 300s provide approx. 40 amps of current and the 7BSST is over 60 amps per channel.

From what I have read, 600 wpc is total overkill...

Thanks

Since anything with a solid 150W /channel would be plenty any Bryston power amp will do.Bryston amps are of much higher quality than anything found in a receiver,plus they outperform nay pricy amps!

This said I would go with a 3B ST or if you want juice a 4B ST would be plenty.Bryston amps will wake up the slam beast inside each RF7.I saw a few complain RF7's have non satisfactory bass,these peeps are using POS amps.With a Bryston you are getting the real deal,plus a warranty no other company matches,its a long lasting Canadian made value. 1.gif

Go with Bryston,their sound quality,built quality is proven.And the match with RF7's...will be great.

Lynnm is correct that you do not really need large amplifiers, as they are very efficient. Room acoustics and positioning the speakers will have a much mor pronounced effect on the sound than a different power amp.

However, with an impedance that drops to 2.8 or 2.9 ohms at certain frequencies, they do like a little current. I am sure that a Bryston would be even overkill, but one nice feature is their transferrable 20 year warranty. Even if you don't really like the amplifier, you could recoup the cost when you sell, losing very little.