n00bie speaker cable questions

drick

----------------

On 10/13/2004 8:59:24 PM radiob wrote:

Try a set of MIT biwre cables, youll here a difference, or you can get your money back.

----------------

i did a quick google search and can't find their website, where would one go to look for those?

Yup... sheesh the debate continues LOL...

What I believe it mostly comes down to is expense.... what you can afford and satisfy yourself with. There's been alot of debate on this forum on that subject and some do say the cheaper stuff does just as good? I myself felt comfortable with having to go with something more mid-priced. I figured since I spent (X) amount on speakers and equipment it just wouldn't feel right not putting a little exta into the cables right.... right? LOL

I went with a mid-priced Audioquest wire, and I did also bi-wire, and SO.. let the debate continue, I am happy with what I decided on :)

----------------

On 10/13/2004 10:21:57 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

Yup... sheesh the debate continues LOL...

What I believe it mostly comes down to is expense.... what you can afford and satisfy yourself with. There's been alot of debate on this forum on that subject and some do say the cheaper stuff does just as good? I myself felt comfortable with having to go with something more mid-priced. I figured since I spent (X) amount on speakers and equipment it just wouldn't feel right not putting a little exta into the cables right.... right? LOL

I went with a mid-priced Audioquest wire, and I did also bi-wire, and SO.. let the debate continue, I am happy with what I decided on
:)

----------------

Well, the good news is that i've already purchased what in MY opinion are the best cables i am willing to pay for / get. the store i bought everything at doesn't carry any better cables than the ones i got, so that is a good sign in my book.

----------------

On 10/12/2004 12:16:17 PM D-MAN wrote:

I am not one who thinks that wire is just wire, BUT:

I think that high quality INTERCONNECTS are more important and provide more bang-for-the-buck performance than high quality speaker CABLES do to the overall system sound.

DM
2.gif

----------------

dman,

what would you suggest for video interconnects? I need hdmi to dvi connections, and a dvi to dvi connection, so far here is what i have:

Monster 400 for HDMI : HDMI to DVI Video Cable - HDMI400/DVI-6M x2

&

Monster DVI400 Super-High Performance DVI-D Video Cable for HDTV - DVI400-5M x1

----------------

On 10/11/2004 11:32:15 AM drick wrote:

Hi,

I need some assistance on speaker wire connections for my speakers (RF-7's, RC-7, RB-75's, RS-7's, and RSW-15). I had selected the Monster Cable THX 1000 series for all of speakers, but the sales guy said that i should change to "bi wire" for the fronts and center?

Looking for some input on this. I pulled down all of the owners manuals for my speakers, and they aren't very helpful.

Here is what i had originally (AV receiver, DirecTV Satellite receiver, TV, PS2, DVD):

• Monster THX 1000 Component - ULT V1000 CV-16 x2

• Monster THX 1000 Optical - ULT I1000FO-8 x3

• Monster THX 1000 Speaker - ULT S1000MT-10/10 x3

• Monster THX 1000 Speaker - ULT S1000MT-20/20 x4

• Monster THX 1000 Sub - ULT SUB1000-25 x1

----------------

Here is another twist to this, i am running this thread in parallel on another Sony focused forum, and someone ther brought up a good point.

according to that post, jmmybootoo states that speaker wires should be "matched lengths of cable joined at the amps binding post". obviously i have this covered on my fronts and centers, but i wonder about my surrounds and rears now? should they also be matched with same type/length cables?

Just to chime in on this debate. You have to remember that you are dealing with power. The heavier the guage the less resistance there is for the power to travel. You can not shove all 100,000 people going into the Rose Bowl, down the same tunnel at the same time. The same therory behind electrical cords. Ever try and use a thin gauge electrical cord with a compressor? It heats up if you travel too far. It can not carry the load. If you are only pushing 65w or less 16g lamp cord goes up against anyones $3.00 per foot cord! But if you start to move into the 100w game you are going to need to increase your gauge to a min. of 14g. Some, but few benifits of name brand cable. But when you start moving into 120w plus 12g name brand wires are a must.

I did a test for myself using Monster Z cable vs. standard Monster 14g wire. Using the A-B selector, I wired up my speakers. Hands down the Z cable blows it away. Besides being able to push the signal without effort, it is time sensitive. Multi-gauge strands to push the bass and treble so they arive at the same time. Worth every penny.

But when I Bi-wired, I noticed no diff.!!! Period! None! Ziltch! Not with my ears. I think the only people that can truly hear a diff., are those who have systems that cost as much as my house. And they only hear it because Jerry, Their system designer says so! But don't get me wrong, IT LOOKS COOL!