Just about to buy complete setup (advise)

chris98007

it all depends on your ultimate goal, your current budget right now means little, and i will tell you why, your current onkyo is a respectable receiver, and you will see that your proposed ststem will sound decent, but once you get used to the sound you will notice shortcomings, than you lost. i began with polk and onkyo, had some misc. speakers to accompany that i wont mention (bose), knew it could be better. sold the speakers added rf 3's, now were talking! but now i needed 5.1 again, added an rc 3 and 2 rf 5's and a ksw 12, now we are cooking, oops center weak, upgrade to rc 7, now were talking, damn need more power...... this is my sad story for the first year, and i have been working on my ht/2 channel rig for 5 years now.

my point is, sit down, visualize what you would like your system to sound like, look like, and than figure your budget. having started on a budget, self imposed, i mean i just did not want to spend the money, but thought the music fairys would make my system sound like krell? i began small and soon all too soon i became displeased, so maybe it might be a good idea to buy larger front channel speakers and matrix the sound into the front channels, and build your system piece by piece, instead of replacing it piece by piece. i wish i had the patience i talk about, ha ha ha12.gif

Well now i am very confused. I took a listen to the 35 with the 15 and the 25 and it sounded good. Now, i am a huge believer that what sounds good in the store is differnet.

I guess i am not wanting to "wait". I have had the mismatched systems for almost 10 years. I know the best is expensive so i want to land in the middle of the pack. People might say ok then go with the 25 all around, however, i like the sound out of the 35 center more.

So i guess i am more confused now.

will the store allow you to take home the speakers and listen to them in your home? Because you are correct - speakers of choice will sound different from store to home.

May also consider your long term plans - if you plan to place them in a larger room down the road then you may want to get a set of 35s now. Personally I didn't find that the 15 or 25s could handle the size room I have. But I also thought the RF7s would not image properly. I settled on the RF5 with an RC7. I'm still playing with speaker placement but the current setup sounds better then when in the store.

Hang in there and keep asking - folks here have a lot of good advice.

----------------

On 10/14/2004 8:47:30 AM chris98007 wrote:

...People might say ok then go with the 25 all around, however, i like the sound out of the 35 center more...

----------------

If that isn't reason enough to go with 35 all around, I don't know what is.

Your ears have spoken.

I'm just playing a little "devil's advocate" here. Just remember you don't have to use a "center" speaker for the center channel. A bookshelf, or floorstander for that matter, will also meet that need. In fact, things like "tapered array" had to be developed to over come shortcomings in the "standard" center speaker design (namely lobing or combing). 5 bookshelves, whether they be 25s or 35s will also sound very nice.

If there are physical limitations which prohibit the use of a bookshelf for a center, then of course it's not an option. As I said, I'm just trying to give food for thought.

John

• Like 1

ok,

So the "Wife factor" has set in and the rf25's might be out of reach. The crappy part is that i like them a bit more then the 15. I also like the fact that the rc35 and rf 25 use the same tweeter.

I am thinking that maybe i should delay the whole purchase. I am affraid what the 35 center will sound like with the 15 mains

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is much lower on the RC-25 than on the RC-35 -> the 35 is MUCH larger in size. The RC-35 might not be the best match for RF-15 mains. I still think that especially if WAF is a big factor in the purchase, going with bookshelves on pretty stands would help.

Well it is a gray area.

1. We had bookshelves on stands before and she really did not like it.

2. She does not really want to spend any more than 1k

3. I really want a full setup (5 speakers)

4. I like the sound of the rc35 over the 25

so thats makes it a bit of an impass. will the 35 sound good with the 15 interms of tone match? Low end gets 2 subs.

Just not sure but getting tierd of thinking about it.

well patience is indeed a good thing when it comes to speaker purchases 2.gif

I'm hardly qualified to give advice on getting the woman to agree, but I have heard some tips others have mentioned and figured i'd share (and perhaps it'll spur them to share other ideas). One thing to do is just buy the speakers and put them in the room, maybe even totally rearranging everything and maybe she won't notice, lol. Others have mentioned buying jewelry in an amount close to what you're spending on yourself. Though that either cuts your budget in half or requires you to save for a bit longer 2.gif

You may want to guide her attention to this thread: Lets see YOUR Home Theater and show her some pics of the theaters that look really nice with much bigger speakers than the RF-25.

As far as the 25 matching the 35 center, I think you won't be able to hear any significant difference in tonality; so i'd totally say go for it.