NAD T-753 vs. Pioneer Elite VSX-54tx

tunemanjjw

I currently have a NAD T-753. I love it. It's primarily for music. I'm running Klipsch RF-7 RC-7 RS-7 What I can't stand is the white noise that's always on from it. It would be a non-issue, but the fact is these speakers are 14db more efficient than most speakers. The NAD C372 I had before it had zero noise.

I asked my local dealer and they recommended giving Pioneer Elite (VSX-54tx) a shot.

Has anyone had any direct experience with NAD vs. Pioneer Elite Receivers with this speaker set up or a similar one? I would like qualitative information about the sound of the Pioneer Elite gear. I'm hoping it has some of the same musical characteristics that made me choose NAD over higher end Yamaha and Denon (Truer Piano, wider grabbing soundstage). Any suggestions/information would be great!

Also, anyone familiar with a way I can get Pioneer Elite units with warranty but at cheap prices? -- the local dealer changed ownership and they aren't so free to discount me anymore.

the thing i have noticed with the new new multi channel recievers; pre/pro units is that the more channels

you power up at idle(min volume) the more noise they make

but once you turn up the volume(past the idle level) it's how they sound that makes the differance!!

remember that 105db is the thx standard

id go nad all the way!!!

see my system profile for bias on my part

jay

Well, I already have the NAD (and it sounds amazing)...And I kick a cool 123 db as is. So power and volume are not the concern. However, the white noise from the NAD is intolerable and not model dependent for their receiver line (friend has T773, same deal). I want to be able to enjoy my music at LOW volumes and the abundance of white noise (trust me, it's a lot) is ruining that option. The excessive white noise (hiss) is characteristic of all NAD receivers this year BUT only a real issue if your speakers are superefficient (like the 7 system I have)

sooo

Any qualitative information about Pioneer Elite receiver sounds (around model RSX-54tx) (preferably comparing to NAD) but other references are welcome as well -- would be awesome.

----------------

On 10/14/2004 6:42:23 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Sonically the Pioneer will not come close to the NAD, sorry but that is the way it is. NAD focuses on sonics, not all the flash and gimmicks. The Pioneer units are bright and harsh with Klipsch speakers.

----------------

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree, the Pioneer ELITE units are not bright or harsh with Klipsch speakers.

For $350 (NIB online price), I don't think the EX-500 can be beat.

The EX-500 combines the functionality of a slim six-channel high-octane receiver with a DVD-Audio/SACD progressive scan DVD player for the simple elegance that is expected from the Pioneer Elite name. The receiver is jam-packed with power, boasting a hundred watts of amplification for each of the six channels, all in a package that weighs in at fifteen pounds and stands under three inches in height. It processes Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Dolby Pro Logic II, and offers Pioneer's exclusive automatic Multi-channel acoustic calibration system (MCACC). This power-packed receiver is the cat's meow when it comes to technology.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_2047431_2046358_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

tunemanjjw: I have an old NAD Model 2200 (I think) Integrated amplifier (100 wpc) that over the years I ran both ADS L-810 speakers and Polk SDA-1A's on it and the only time I ever heard white noise from the setup was when I had the volume cranked but nothing playing yet. And then, the noise wasn't very loud.

Currently, I have about the same Klipsch speaker compliment as you and I've been running them on a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TXi flagship receiever. There's absolutley no white noise.

In my opinion, the sound is not what I would describe as warm, but instead: accurate, distinct, and believable, but NEVER sharp, bright nor harsh. I have no complaints, nor have I gotten any from my guests, about the sound I am getting. I really do enjoy this setup and recommend trying it or another one of Pioneer's fine Elite receivers.

B&K: Thumbs up.

Compared the NAD, the B&K:

*was more sibilant, but not harsh (don't know how they pulled that off)..I think I prefer the NAD sound in general still

*the bass was much noticably less

*the raw output was similar

*white noise floor was much lower, I can enjoy my system at very low levels w/my 7 system

*the surround was more unified

I talked to my dealer -- he told me that B&K was Motorola's ALPHA (not BETA) test site for Surround. Henceforth, B&K and Motorola keep a lot of secrets that don't get passed down the chain. According to my guy, the surround is better on B&K than even Krell, admitted by Krell when he called to ask (he had a B&K unit and bought a Krell unit expecting it to blow away the B&K).

Anyways, I use a Dolby Digital encoder to play my music through a digital output from a PC -- b/c the bass gets downmixed, to my fronts and center in my receiver (very nicely might i add) I had my encoder create a LFE and I just boosted the level of it and it pulled up my low end in it's entirety. The end result is quite nice.

I am completely impressed. The NAD is an amazing unit as it blew away the Denons and Yamahas I was shopping. All the same, the B&K is a keeper. Now to ebay to sell my NAD T753.

SELLING PLUG:If anyone is interested, check out nadelectronics.com model T753. My unit is 10 weeks old (immaculate, all box/manuals) and carries a 5 yr extended warranty through Tweeter (hence should you need to, you can actually get it serviced in your area). I bought it at a NOW Audio/Video but they got bought out by Tweeter and their warrantying is grandfathered into Tweeter. Anyways, $600 + shipping with full authorized warranty + 5 yr (total) extended warranty. The unit retails at $1000. Private message/email me if you are interested.