So the dealer had an RSW-10 marked down...

drdiaboloco

...and I bought it, with the stipulation that I could return it if I were unsatisfied.

I wandered in to see what their "no s***" price was on the RW-12, which was $549... And then the salesman sez, "You know, we're selling our last RSW-10 for $599."

After a lot of hemming and hawing, I took it home. It's sitting in my foyer.

I'll post this before listening, but I'm lookin' for opinions... For later viewing, of course.

RSW-10 or RW-12? Or... "Other"?

I think 550 is a good deal on an RSW-10. If I had my choice between the RSW-10 and the RW-12, I would pick the RSW-10 for many reasons. No port noise, better amp,sub, cabinet and sounds better. The RW-12 goes a little bit louder but not much. FYI, I can get an RSW-10 for $750 compared to the $1100 MRSP. I hope you enjoy it and good luck.

CD

Aha, but it wasn't $550, it was $599. The $550 was for the RW-12.

After several hours of listenin', I would say that I'm impressed but for the rattling sound that the driver gets at certain frequencies (the active driver only)... and that danged rattling is unacceptable. It's not bottoming out or anything, it's a reedy, even farty sound that is quite obvious even from ten feet away (but there's no visible damage, it's not like the surround or the cone are ruptured or anything). It goes back tomorrow, either for a repair or a refund.

I will say this, it does hit harder than I expected. LOTR Return of the King, the battle scenes in specific, were a wonder. DSOTM on SACD was pretty darned good, as was other pop music on CD with some good low bass.

Too bad all doesn't seem well with this unit... I didn't even abuse it, never got it above -05 for movies or 00 for music on the Denon 3802 (after setting the levels properly, natch, zeroed out on the SW out level and only 1/3 or so on the vol control on the side of the unit, all speakers set to "small" and LFE Out only).

*Update*

Returned the RSW-10 (looks like there was a problem with the active driver) and got the RW-12 instead, for $550 with tax. Nice sounding sub, roughly equivalent to the RSW-10, after setting it up all proper-like. It is not as good a sound as the RSW-10, but for what I paid I'm happy with it.

Sounds like you had a defective RSW10,I pushed my RSW subs(one at a time)to their respective output limits with test tones and had nothing like you describe.The limiter kicks in before the amp/woofer spit their inards.

All well designed powered subs have limiters,I seriously think you had a lemon RSW10.

The RW12 is a great little sub,good buy.For HT it will do a better job than a RSW10.

----------------

On 10/17/2004 2:50:55 PM TheEAR wrote:

The RW12 is a great little sub,good buy.For HT it will do a better job than a RSW10.

----------------

Agree 100%. If you can handle a little less absolute loudness, for music the RSW-10 is the pick of the bunch. In fact 2 RSW-10's would be ideal.