Rear Seat Riser

SCOOTERDOG

well if you've got a 6 foot person in front and then a 5 foot person in the back, then 12" would be a minimum just to see a screen that is 3 or 4 feet from the floor (depends on how tall the chairs are). I would say err on the high side 2.gif

I don't know if you've already thought of it, but you can use this riser to your acoustical benefit. I've seen some rooms that put subs right in the riser firing straight up (a metal grate to protect the speakers). Others have had the subs firing forward where the riser drops off. I would think a big enough riser would be a perfect place to put a huge hornloaded sub. I'm sure there are other ideas and stuff to, but just wanted to get you thinking about it if you haven't already.

Also, make sure your riser isn't boomy otherwise it will resonate when it's resonate frequency is being played. Lots of bracing would be good for this.

You might wanna seek out Moon as he has built a rather elaborate riser. Here's a link to a thread that I think might have some info: artto, here is my results with a jpg of a basic room layout.

I second the 12" riser height. Remember that building codes may state the maximum height for one step...

I would also second the comment about making sure the bracing is adequate. I stopped by an audio business yesterday where they had a sub (or two) mounted in the riser, much like DrWho described. They had metal grates like register vents over the openings to protect the speakers. However, there was a very large amount of vibration that occurred which really detracted from the overall sound quality of the subs. Additionally, when I sat in the front row, most of the bass seemed to be coming from behind me (which it was), rather than from the screen.

David

Scooter,

I'm in the process of building a dedicated HT. Found the attached PDF on AVSForum. Hope you will find it helpful.

As to riser height, IMO it depends on two factors...screen height on the front wall and front row seating height. Not all sofas and chairs sit you at the same height. For me, 10" will be plenty because we prefer a screen mounted a little higher on the wall(eye level to the bottom of the screen in the first row instead of 1/3 from the bottom).

But in the end, it's all a matter of what YOU like...9.gif

HT riser plan.pdf