Classe or Mcintosh amp for Forte's

cjones

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of superb Mint 88 Forte's from fellow forum member Jim Mohr. Thanks again Jim. I'm currently using a Consonance C-100 integrated amp to drive them and a Consonance ref 2.2 tube Cd player as source. On some recordings I'm finding this amp/speaker combo a little bright and/or harsh. I'm thinking about purchasing either a Classe CAP-101 or the McIntosh MC122 amp C-15 preamp set up. Which set up do you think would be more compatable with the Forte's? Cost wise both are in the same ball park. I would appraciate any suggestions about the above mentioned amps or any others that might fit well with the Forte's.

Thanks

Are you sure the problem is in your amp? If some recordings are good and others bad, I might suspect that some of your source material is better than others. In any case, I KNOW you won't go wrong with Mac, I haven't heard a Classe amp in person so I can not comment about them.

BTW, the Fort'e speakers are realy verry good speakers, I love mine for sure!, Welcome to Klipsch. Get ready to spend some money in search of a system that will make you happy3.gif It seems that we tend to chase that slight improvement in sound without end.

I have what sounds to me and others that I audition the system to, a nice, quality system. FOR NOW I am happy. I guess I need to be anyway as I am out of money to spend on audio6.gif2.gif

I agree that you can't go wrong with either Classe or McIntosh, but before you do the big bucks thing, consider this as it is much cheaper...

Change your interconnects to silver, and you'll definately hear a change. Probably you'll be far happier with the sound.

If it is still too "harsh", then try different speaker cables.

If you aren't happy after that, then go for the gear, but my bet is that you'll solve your problem before that.

That's my 2 cents...

DM2.gif

MMM...silver interconnects...that's a good idea. Best to try the simple inexpensive things first before shelling out the bucks.

It's interesting I used the Consonance C-100

with Heresy's before I purchased the Forte's and never had a harshness problem. I guess that just prooves that they are different beasts.

Another thought before dropping some serious cash on an amp, is to upgrade the components in the crossover networks in those speakers first!

Interconnects, amps, preamps, etc. won't smooth out the response of the speaker as well as pulling the mediocre caps and coils out of the 14-17 year old crossover networks and replacing them with Auricaps or Hovlands or other higher quality capacitors.

I can assure you that will tame the brightness/harshness and smooth out the overall response better than interconnects or another amp.

Anyone can hear the difference between silver & copper inconnects must have the hearing of a bat, I doubt they could do it 10 out of 10 in a blind listening test.

Take it one step at a time though.

Definately upgrading the networks and/or cables/interconnects is the least expensive way to go, and one that you should check into.

I've never audioned any Classe components, but I'm sure they're outstanding in their own right. I've only owned McIntosh SS amps in the past, and I've thoroughly enjoyed my MC7200 and MC2100, but especially my classic '73 MC250 SS amp. I would highly recommend any Mac, but I couldn't find any info on the MC122 (is this a new SS model?).

Have you also considered vacuum tube amplification? I don't think Classe makes any tube gear, but obviously McIntosh does. And so does Consonance! My brother had a late model Consonance M100SE integrated PP EL34/KT88 tube amp that sounded great with his Klipsch KG 5.5s! Just a thought should you go the tube route...sometimes tube amplification (PP or SET) eliminates the midrange/treble harshness you're experiencing with your Fortes. Good luck in your search for musical nirvana, no matter which direction you choose!

Just my two cents worth...2.gif

I think you are in for a noise hunt. I don't know why the amp and pre would be harsh since they're tube. The Classe actually might be worse, I have had one experience w/ Classe and I wasn't real impressed. Anyway, I doubt that would solve the problem. The Forte is obviously telling you things because of its sensitivity.

Get a decent power line filter for the entire system. You might as well make sure that's out of the way. There's a Belkin for about $70 at Staples that I like. I'm sure there are other suggestions.

Next, if you can control volume some other way, you can try skipping the preamp, just to be sure it's not contributing. If no change, put it back in.

Leo