Distortion from KG4's

christjared

I have listened to my newly purchased KG4's. They sound good compared to my MTX's but I have noticed I can't turn them up very loud. I dont know if the distortion is coming from my Laptop EQ or if it might be from my receiver. I have a Yamaha 5240. I listened to some JBL bookself speakers that my friend has this weekend. He has an older but high level Yamaha and the JBL's sounded sweet and didnt distort as much as my KG4's did. Im confused.

The KG4 is a very accurate and revealing speaker. You're going to hear ANY distortion that is coming from your source.

I'd try a decent amp with them, and a good source, and you'll really hear the difference. If you've got a friend/dorm neighbor who's got some good, medium power gear (you just need CLEAN watts, not many), drag them down the hall and give a listen.

Greetings,

It's true that the kg-4's are very truthful: they'll happily reproduce what you give them. I recall a time that my "toob" setup was less than ideal, and it produced some distortion which the kg-4's reproduced loud and clear; I changed the setup and the distortion was gone.

Therefore, it's well worth your while to verify that your front-end gear isn't producing a distorted signal.

Hope this helps...

Take care,

Scott

No one in my dorm has a decent stereo. The only receiver that I could hook it up to is a Kenwood. I don't know if that has clean watts at all. I dont know what to do with my laptop. Its my main source of music. Should I just turn off the EQ and enviroment settings? or should I try and make them sound better?

try going to start, programs, accessories, entertainment.

open the volume control. Try adjusting the wav and main volume sliders to both around half. That should do it. But still turn off eqs, etc. For my computer I bought an external d/a converter for around 120 bucks. hooks up to usb and acts like a sound card and got rid of my ground hum. I think i found it at thinkgeek.com

I turned off all eq settings and turned down the wave volume controls on my computer. the distortion still remains. I put in a CD into my sony DVD play and let it play...it distorts but not as much as my laptop but it also lacks bass then. Would it be my Yamaha receiver? Do Denon's tend to be cleaner than Yamahas? Would it be a good investment to purchase a lower costing Denon(around 300)?