From scratch

bufflo

Hello!

I want to get a basic home theater setup, but I don't have millions to spend. I was thinking about getting the Quintets speakers with sub, a cheap ($2 -300) receiver a DVD player and talking my roommate into buying the tv. I've also looked at those home theater in a box products (Pioneer, Sony), but I think the Quintet deal would sound better (I have the ProMedia 2.1, so I'm familiar with that sound).

In a better world I guess I would start with real main speakers and a better receiver, but this will have to do for now. So what do you suggest?

BUFFLO,

I have a pair of white quintets for sale if you are intrested? They are about 2 months old. I will sell for 70.00. I live in Nc. Shipping would only be probably 5.00 dollars? Also I have a Pinanncle Widescreen center for sell. 100.00.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: KSB 3.1

CENTER: KSC-C1

REAR: WHITE QUINTETS

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

FOR SALE PINANNCLE WIDESCREEN CTR (105.00)

bufflo-

as long as your room is no bigger than 10'x10', the quintets should do OK.

I will warn you though, they aren't the greatest speakers...

but they'll be adequate for a small room.

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

Bufflo - My Dad just put the Quintets in their TV room, about 11x12 and it does fine. However, just remember they are not going to rock the house for music - they are designed primarily for HT. And, yes, they will be better than the HT-in-a-box kits you find at the mass merchandisers.

Also, the Quintets (as sold for HT from Klipsch) are a 5-speaker kit, which includes the matching center channel. The center channel CANNOT be bought separately, and many of the Quintets you see on ebay are pairs. If you get 2 pairs of Quintets, and need a center, get the Klipsch SC-.5 out of the Synergy line -- it is the next closest match to the Quintets.

www.acousticsounddesign.com had a pretty good price on the 5-speaker set.

If you can swing a few extra $ (skip a couple of nights out), upgrade to the Synergy System 6. It will work great with music AND HT, and will be noticeably better than the Quintets.

BTW, you can find the Denon 1601 receiver easily within your $2-300 budget since it is being replaced by the 1602 (MSRP $399). You might even find an 1801 on clearance. You won't miss much by not getting the 1602 (it has ProLogic II). The 1601 has DD & DTS and all the power you'll need for the Quintets or the System 6.

You'll love it. But start saving your money, 'cause once you get bit by the Klipsch bug, you'll be upgrading constantly, not because you have to but because you want to!

DD

crazyeddie has a great price for the 5-speaker set + KSW10 (which will be fine for a small room, too)...

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x3; 25x2

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

IMHO, the Quintets or HT in a box is not going to keep you happy for long. You'll probably have to replace everything in the short run when you get the bug.

As suggested, you could look at a low end Klipsch set up in the R series or the like. If you can find a 5.1 matched Klipsch system (bigger than Quintets) new, or used, you will have a very good start.

One thing to consider is whether you'd be able to build up a compatable system over time. It is important to get matched center and mains. A three speaker system might keep you happy for a long time. Even VHS HI FI tapes through a decent stereo system is a startling improvement over the sound from a TV speaker. An HT receiver with a center channel is a next, impressive, step up.

Subs have fewer matching issues, and might be the next purchase. You could put that off a year.

I certainly wouldn't say the surrounds are not an important issue, including matching. But they probably are nearer the lesser end of purchase priority if you have to build slowly. IMHO.

Gil