Cornwall Identification

omegaken

Yes, look along the edge of the plywood on the back of the speaker, they stamped the S/N's into the wood. Once you have a S/N we can tell you the tear of manufacture for them. They appear to be Walnut Oil finish, the pie slice logos will put them in the late 60's to mid-70's time frame. Very nice speakers. Welcome to the forum!

Are those the Larkspur pair, from Craigslist? I saw the listing last night, but have little energy to jump at such stuff right now. If those are the ones, you STOLE 'em! Good going! Tell us about it...

This is what the inside of the Cornwall II looks like. The driver magnets may be circular or square, depending on the type (mud vs. alnico).

Note that the crossover will be different (it will look like a board with a few silver cans on it). These are Al Klappenberger's ALK crossovers for the Cornwall.

How much did you get these for? These are the finest looking CW II's I've ever seen.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems

post-4827-13819259214042_thumb.jpg

The speaker serial #'s are 1H637 & 1H638 and are now sitting in my family room.I'm a proud owner of a pair of 1969 Vertical Cornwall II's. These are in excellent condition. I did take off the backs and everything is original. The gentleman never even removed the grills. He thought they were screwed on from inside. I didn't see anything inside holding them on. How are the attached? Now I need to figure out where my 84' La Scala's are going! Anyone looking for La Scala's?

Ken

----------------

On 11/4/2004 10:31:38 AM Frzninvt wrote:

They are NOT easily removable! They would need to be unscrewed from inside the speaker and will come out with all the drivers attached.

Congratulations! '69's Good Year! Should sound sweet!

----------------

Very true! Unless there is a real need such as bad grill cloth or you MUST absolutely change it to some other color, don't do it.

1) It's hard

2) It's hard to do without doing serious damage to the tissue like damping material. Use a very long screw driver to keep your knuckles off the damping material.

3) The bass is dependant on the seal of the cabinet everywhere except the port and you are now monkeying with that seal!

4) If you do it, remove the drivers first. This may be a problem if your interior motorboard is painted, because often the drivers were mounted before the paint was dry and therefore are "glued" to the motorboard. This will require additional repair....

You've really got to want to do this and be careful!

Let us know. Any additional pictures?

Mike

These were found on craigslist. I've been looking for oak cornwall's. I could not pass on these. The guy took great care of them. I'm still looking for the oak cornwall's. My floors and furniture are white oak. I may just find another pair and reveneer them. This pair of CW's will remain walnut.