My review of the Yamaha 5760

BobbyT

I'm not a professional reviewer but I will write this the best that I can. I have lived with the 5760 for 2 weeks. It replaced a Denon 3802. I picked up the 5760 for $369 shipped from J&R. My other equipment is as follows.

RF 3-II

RC3-II

RS3-II

Synergy bookshelves for surround back duty

diy sub-Dayton 12" DVC with 250 watt Parts Express plate amp

Pioneer Elite 45A DVD player

Samsung 30" wide screen hi def TV

Nothing I say here is meant to bash Denon in any way as they make an excellent product. I bet by reading that you can already tell which one I kept 1.gif .

First off the 3802 outweighs the 5760 by at least 10 pounds. this was painfully noticeable changing out receivers.

The first thing I did after making all of the connections was to run the ypao. this did an excellent job of setting everything up. Probably as good as i could do with the Radio Shack meter and tape measure. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that it set the crossover at 160. I just went in and manually set it to 80.

The 3802 is rated at 110 watts/ch 20=20 and the 5760 in the manual is rated at 95 watts/ch 20-20. The 5760 is advertised as 110 watts/ch but this is rated at 1khz. At least Yamaha puts a truer rating in the manual. With that said the 5760 is easily 30% louder than the 3802. This was very surprising considering the weight difference. I rechecked the speaker level settings to be sure that I didn't raise them accidentally. One other thing I noticed is that the 5760 runs a lot cooler.

Now for Music. I run my mains as large through the elite DVD player and play all music except concert DVDs through the 6 channel output. The first thing I noticed on 2 channel CDs was the imaging and sound staging was much better. Then I noticed that there was more detail revealed in the music. The sound was also a lot smoother in the 5760. This caught me off guard as I was expecting the sound to be brighter than the 3802. It wasn't any brighter at all, just smoother. I hit it with all kinds of CD, SACD, and DVDA and it kept putting a big smile on my face. I was happy to hear new details in music I've been listening to for years. It's been a long time since I could just sit back, close my eyes, and listen to the music. The 5760 does a better job of making me forget about the system and enjoy what I'm listening to.

Time for some movies and concerts. I watched a lot of movies and concert DVDs that I own to hear the differences. Details details details. I heard things in movies that I have watched on this system many times over and never heard. Some of it subtle, but still never before heard. Again the Yammie does a better job of making the speakers disappear and me being drawn more into what I'm watching. Concert DVDs are incredible. First off I like to use Metallica S&M because there is a lot going on in the front 3 speakers. One thing I discovered switching from Synergy to Reference was in the opening during Call of Ktulu Jason Newstead's bass is all in the center. Before I could just see him playing, then with the RC3-II I heard every note he played distinctly and now with the 5760 I can hear it even better. Then throw in the Corrs Live in London and Diana Krall Live in Paris and WOW.

TV viewing was not really fair as the 5760 has the new PL2x and the 3802 was just PL2. The 3802 did good with TV material but the 5760 blows it away. Which it should with a new format.

The biggest surprise to me was the total performance of a receiver that only list for $499. While the Yammie has the latest bells and whistles, that has no bearing on each manufacturer's distinctive sound. and I find that I like the sound of the Yamaha over the sound of the Denon.

----------------

On 11/4/2004 5:43:18 PM BobbyT wrote:

While the Yammie has the latest bells and whistles, that has no bearing on each manufacturer's distinctive sound. and I find that I like the sound of the Yamaha over the sound of the Denon.

----------------

Nothing wrong with that - to each thier own. I have a Denon 3802 myself, which I really liked. I am still using it, but I've added an outboard amplifier (B&K Reference 200.7). Now, there was difference in sound-staging/imaging, detail, dynamics, and all the other gee-whizz buzzwords that can be thrown out!

I am looking forward to eventually replacing it with a dedicated pre-pro, but right now, I'll have to do with what I got as my money is tied up in other things right now.

What an excellent review, BobbyT. I like the sound of the Yamaha's myself. But the new Denon 2805 I just heard the other day has closed the gap. It's great to see this sort of competition between the manufacturers. Because the winners end up being us.

Any opinion formed from an equipment review has to be tempered by the other equipment used in the evaluation. Some amplifiers and speakers work really well together. Just like certain tube and horn combinations - magical! Yet if you split the combination and match them with others, the result is less than inspiring. Klipsch loudspeakers tend to highlight rather brash sounding amplifiers more than some other brands. Thiel is another brand that is amplifier sensitive.

I would love to hear a 3802 paired with a B&K 200.7, I'll bet it's awesome. Like I said I will never knock Denon. In my room with my gear and to my ears and taste the Yamaha was better. I've come to be an accuracy and detail fanatic. And the Yamaha excels at detail. I love that on the Corrs In Blue DVDA you can hear the singers breathe between vocals. Call me a geek.

P.S. I got the 5760 so cheap I actually sold my 3802 for enough to cover the cost.

----------------

On 11/4/2004 8:11:57 PM BobbyT wrote:

I would love to hear a 3802 paired with a B&K 200.7, I'll bet it's awesome.

----------------

Awww, man, is it ever! Especially on the RF-7s. If you are anywhere in the Washington, D.C. to Richmond, VA area, drop me a line. I would be glad to demo this for you.