Which Klipsch Speakers would YOU suggest?

Another Woman

I used my Heresy II speakers for quite a while without a sub. My brother-in-law had moved and given me his sub that he had been using, and I finally set it up in our rather small living room. I have it set th=so it is just barely there and you don't really notice it unless you turn it off. I don't play music really loud, my youngest son and wife do listen to classical/symphonic music pretty loud. They are quite happy with the sound.

For what it's worth, the sub is only an 8 incher. It is a Velodyne. It just sorta fills in the bottom end. It probably wouldn't do for home theater, but I only have a 13 inch tv. 9.gif

Marvel

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sub would need a line-level input from the source. All of this information would come with the subwoofer, Tamara, as well as crossover frequencies, setting the volume etc. There are some different options for connecting it to a system. If I were going to do this (maybe I will one of these days!) I think I would get the 10" Titanic, but as Dean says, it would probably be better in the long run to go for the 12" version -- which costs more, but might end up being a savings in the long run.

I have such limited experience with subs, though! I just thought I would mention some options that your mom might like because it involves a little DIYing, which can be fun -- actually tons of fun!

Let us know how it goes, and PLEASE have a listen to the Heresy speakers (ok, I took the safe way out on that one in order to avoid the plural form of Heresy!)

The speakers are going to Vancouver, Washington (near Portland) and I live in Seattle, so it actually might be a while before I hear them, or see them. But I'll let you know when I do.

Speaking of "Heresy"...my mother's friend has a collection of EIGHT TRACK TAPES (!)...which he wants to listen to. I struggled trying to figure out what I could connect to a receiver so he could hear them. I bid on an 8 Track Player thing and won it (shrug) but now I don't know whether or not it will do the job.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5728900143&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Is it some combination receiver thing? Is there a way to bypass all of that stuff and just use it to play the 8 Tracks? The reason I liked it is that it didn't look too ugly considering, and I thought it would stack nicely in a stack of equipment, where a lot of them were only half that size and I didn't know where they would physically go in the room.

I'm certainly open to upgrade ideas of higher quality stuff! For now I'm trying to get them up and running enough that they can begin to both get hooked on it. Some of this stuff can move off to the bedroom, or my mother's craft room, as better stuff is acquired for the main system. In fact, what kind of inexpensive receiver would you suggest for my mom's craft room? It's actually the place she ultimately is most likely to experience music, for the first time in her life...so what kind of speakers would work for there too. It's just a medium size bedroom type room.

----------------

On 11/7/2004 3:21:53 PM Another Woman wrote:

..."I'm certainly open to upgrade ideas of higher quality stuff! For now I'm trying to get them up and running enough that they can begin to both get hooked on it. Some of this stuff can move off to the bedroom, or my mother's craft room, as better stuff is acquired for the main system. In fact, what kind of inexpensive receiver would you suggest for my mom's craft room? It's actually the place she ultimately is most likely to experience music, for the first time in her life...so what kind of speakers would work for there too. It's just a medium size bedroom type room."

----------------

A great vintage receiver that's dirt cheap is the harman/kardon 430 Twin Powered Stereo Reciever (also comes in 630, 730, and 930 models, etc.), which can be found on eBay usually ending at $50 or more. Many forum members use these classic '70s receivers for their Klipsch, and they're completely satisfied with their smooth sound...definately one of your better SS deals IMO. I assume any Klipsch loudspeaker sounds great through it, like your KG-series, and even the Heresy. Hope this helps.

Thanks Jim, I'll start looking for an HK 430 - 930.

I picked up the Jensen TF-3s tonight. I compared them to my KG4s...the KG4s absolutely won hands down. It was no contest. It's too bad the Jensen TF-3s aren't as auditorily pleasing as they are visually pleasing! They are in great shape. They are thick walnut veneer. The guy bought them in March of 1964 at a stereo store in Massachusetts and he has obviously taken great care of them. He said he used them until a month ago when he bought some new speakers. They certainly make me appreciate Klipsch speakers. I still think they are worth the $25. until I can find more good speakers for my mom. She'll at least be able to compare them to her Heresys (how should I spell that !!!) and know that her Heresys are a way better speaker. Besides, I could take them back to him for the next week and get my money back.

$250 is a good price regardless of how they look if they perform. My raw birch are horrible looking and I have around $325 in them. A subwoofer always adds to the effect, so with the savings over a Forte, adding a sub will give you a better sound in the end probably.

Not sure on the Marrantz, but I can attest to the HK430, it is a definite must. 8 track tapes, a waste of time and good equipment in my opinion. The Toshiba 3950 for $70 delevered is a better deal.

Sounds like you are close to getting there, good luck. Oh, for the setup you are putting together Radio Shack wire/Home Depo is definitely the way to go. Go to SIGNALCABLE.com for good inter connects at a very low price. Frank is a great help.

ROCK/JAZZ ON

TillmBil,

What is a Toshiba 3950? Are you talking about a Toshiba SD-3950 DVD player? What do you know about this Toshiba?

I checked on eBay for the HK430...but they don't seem to have any of that series right now. Oh well, we better get the stuff that's on it's way put together before we order more.

Yeah, I haven't listened to 8 Tracks for 30 years or more...certainly NOT my preferred mode...

Marvel,

Thanks for your thoughts about subs. It sounds like you're saying that a small sub might be better than no sub at all...I guess the 10" Dayton Audio for about $125. would be bigger than the 8" Velodyne you're using. You think it would be worth it?

All these boxes for all of this equipment should start arriving any day now. My mom bought two turntables on eBay last night. One is a Marantz 6300 wood turntable from the mid 70's, which is the era when her Walnut case Marantz 2250B receiver was from. Those turntables have been selling from $175. to $375. on eBay. She got this one for $86. It looks like it might clean up real nice. The turntable dust cover has a scratch in it and we're hoping we can get most of it to come out with some elbow grease. Is it possible to get replacement dust covers? She also needs a "foot" (?) for the turntable too. Did Marantz make decent turntables in the 70s? Neither of us know anything about turntables, so we don't really know what makes a good one.

The other turntable is the Marantz TT-1200. It looks like it's in spotless shape and it sounds like the guy who sold it would have taken great care of it.

Maybe if we can get the vinyl and CDs to sound good her friend will forget about the 8 Tracks (grin).

Tamara