La Scala ceiling mount

Niv

Due to space limitations, I need to hang/mount my La Scalas from the ceiling of my studio/office. Does anyone have any experience and/or recommendations as to what type of hardware to use and where/how to attach to the speakers?

LaScala's were not constructed to fly as far as I know. There may be industrial versions that are but generally LaScalas have no internal braceing for this. The cabinets are constructed with glued butt joints and nails. Your best bet would be to install a fitted shelf built heavy enough to carry the weight. I would add a safety strap or cable just to be sure. If one of these puppies fell on you it would earn you a quick trip on a gurney to the EM ward or worse.

You could use threaded rod and 1/2" ply, cut slightly larger, with foam or rubber to clamp the speaker top and bottom.

Attach eyebolts through the plywood, with heavy washers and nuts on both sides ot the plywood, giving you points to attach to. I would recommend the use of larger diameter threaded rod > 1/2".as it does not deflect as easily, and the washers on either side of the plywood will have a larger area to spread the force. 3/8" would carry the load of the speaker, but for the few extra bucks, go with larger diameter rod. Also, you can apply foam pipe insulation over the larger diameter threaded rod, so that you do not scratch the speaker.

Make darn sure that you are attaching to a solid beam or otherwise sound structural member, before you try hoisting a heavy speaker up. Make your own cables from 1/4 aircraft cable sold at a hardware store, taking care that the cable clamps are installed correcly! Remember, never saddle a dead horse. This means that the saddle of the cable clamp should never go over the dead end of the cable, as it can slip.

If you are not comfortable with this, do not attempt it period.

Well you could always purchase TV mounting brackets from omnimount...it's basically a heavy duty shelf that a TV would normally sit on.

As already mentioned, you could go the threaded rod approach. I've seen installations where there were 8 TV's sitting on top of a big piece of 3/4" plywood mounted with just 4 pieces of 3/8" threaded rod...later in the evening, saw a person running around on top of it as well. We use threaded rod at work all the time for installs like this and we couldn't believe our eyes.

If you have access to the attic, you can lay 2x4's across the ceiling joists so that the location of your threaded rod is more flexible. Just pre drill holes through everything and then use two or even three washers (getting gradually larger). For what it's worth, I don't think you'll need the second piece of wood to clamp down on your speaker. If you plan on tilting the speaker forward (which is very easy to do with this kind of installation), just put a small lip (like a 1x1 strip) in front.

Lastly, if you do threaded rod, you're going to be putting holes in your drywall. There are these small round metal plates that you can mount around the threaded rod to cover the hole. If the speaker ever moves (it actually should be able to sway a bit), then this hole is going to change in shape and will just look plain ugly without these cool plates. I can't remember the name of them but I know Home Depot carries them. The plate is two pieces, sometimes it pivots on one end and it has a small hole in the middle that would fit around the threaded rod. They're anywhere between 1" and like 6" in diameter.

Thanks for everyones' suggestions. Based on what I have read, and since the La Scalas are heavy (~125 lbs)and not internally braced,I think I will go with the under-speaker shelf support using eyebolts and (4) 3/8" stranded wire cables w/vinyl coating attached to (2) 1/2" threaded rods per speaker (this will allow tilt). The rods will go through the ceiling and attach to 2x8s straddling and screwed to the ceiling joists above my room.

I may sandwich the ceiling drywall with some oak for cosmetic purposes as well as to keep the drywall intact from speaker movement.

JBL has a technical bulletin "Basic principles for Suspending Loudspeaker Systems" which has good basic info. Go to:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/tn_v1n14.pdf

I'll let you know how things work out... now I just need to find the time.

There are an old pair of LaScala mounted inverted in a local club.

These have a pair of threaded rod going through the inside of the doghouse and stop just under the mid horn. Nyloc nuts are used. Each time the bottom has to be removed for service the nuts must be replaced. The woofers have only had to be replaced once in the last 20 years (amplifier problem).

----------------

On 11/10/2004 1:22:51 AM djk wrote:

There are an old pair of LaScala mounted inverted in a local club.

These have a pair of threaded rod going through the inside of the doghouse and stop just under the mid horn. Nyloc nuts are used. Each time the bottom has to be removed for service the nuts must be replaced. The woofers have only had to be replaced once in the last 20 years (amplifier problem).

----------------

this post make me remember of o post on the forum(unfortunatly i don t remember wich one).

one of us have already mount some lascala on a wall.

he turned the lascala up side down because he said it sounds better.

i m so sorry i forgot the name of the topic

8.gif